Thursday, October 26, 2017

10/26/17: 58 days to go

There is big news to report.  Our last day at the Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast will be December 23, 2017.  Yes, you read that right, I am going to be moving back home to Kansas City over the Christmas holiday.

How did this happen?  Well, I'll tell you the Reader's Digest version for now.

Our contract to run the inn is a 1 year contract, set to expire on December 18.  The owner of the inn believed he would get it sold before our contract expired, but that did not happen.  We submitted a proposal to the owner to extend our contract for six months, which after much angst from the owner (it was an expensive proposal), he signed.  Part of the proposal was that we would begin recruiting for our own replacements on January 1st.  As fate would have it, within about a week of signing the proposal, a young man walked in the front door looking for an assistant manager position.  I told him that we did not have any such positions available.  After a moment's hesitation I told him that I didn't have any jobs for him, unless he wanted to run the place.  He said, "As a matter of fact, I do."  So we sat down on the spot, talked it through, and we decided that he should talk to the owner about taking over the inn with his wife.  The rest, as they say, is history.  We have been training Jeremiah and Lisseth for about 3 weeks, now, and will continue training them until December 23rd. 

The timing was perfect because they were here to help us through the busiest month of the year, October.  Carla and I have now worked for 4 weeks without a day off.  Ugh.  We've had at least one afternoon off each week, but that is about it because we were sold out solidly for over 4 weeks.  This week has been relatively busy, too, but things really slow down after Halloween.

Lisseth had a two week vacation to Peru planned prior to starting at the Bernerhof, and Jeremiah had some time planned with his family and friends while she was gone, so this week and next Carla and I are on our own, except for some help from Jeremiah on the weekend.  On November 10th Lisseth will be back from Peru, and we will start having them here 5 days a week, again, so that the training can resume in earnest.

So, Carla and I are counting down the days until the Bernerhof Inn shows up in our rear-view mirror.  There is a lot to talk about.  A lot has been learned and a lot of plans have been made and are being made.  But before I get into what comes after the Bernerhof Inn, I need to talk about what I will do with myself for the next 58 days.

I will focus on my health.  I have exercised three days this week.  Monday I went on a hike and Wednesday and today I lifted weights.  It's raining out, pretty steadily, so getting outside for cardio today was not particularly appealing.  I will exercise every day.  I am not committing to an exact number of minutes or an exact routine, but I will start working back up to an hour a day.  I will improve my diet.  No sugar, no wheat and no alcohol until I leave the Bernerhof.  I will get enough sleep.  8 hours a night is my goal.  I will drink enough water.

The month of October was brutal; too much work, not enough sleep, training new innkeepers; it all took its toll.  The good news is that this week has been a little more laid back and starting next week, we won't be busy at all.  We'll have to do fun things like paint and clean, etc., but it won't be non-stop, no-break action.  For the rest of our stay here we should both be able to get two days off a week and I should have plenty of time to sleep and exercise.

Blogging helps.  I am really going to try hard to maintain my blog over the next 8 weeks.  If you read this, feel free to leave a comment and say hi.  Or you can email me at bertabetta@hotmail.com.  I can use all the encouragement I can get.  I need to get in great shape before spring, because I'll be playing kickball again, come April. 

All right, I gotta run for now.  Thanks for listening and have an awesome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment