Saturday, October 28, 2017

10/28/17: 56 Days and Counting

Ok, this isn't too bad.  I said I would start blogging everyday again, the day before yesterday, and I just missed one day.  I will probably never put up a blog post on Fridays, because I spend all day Friday cooking, first for breakfast and then prepping for our weekend dinner service.  Fridays are long, hard days that start at about 6AM and end at 9PM or later. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, we have started training our replacements, Jeremiah and Lisseth.  They are a relatively young couple that have decided that they want to own their own inn one day.  Very much like Carla and I, they have decided to take on the challenge of running the Bernerhof Inn in order to gain experience in the industry.  They have a huge advantage over us in one important aspect, though, they have already decided that they want to settle down in this area and they are interested in, maybe, one day owning this property.  I enjoy the enthusiasm that they are bringing to this adventure.  The sheer joy that they are bringing to this will carry them a long way.  So far, we have been focusing on meal service, training Lisseth how to cook breakfast for 24 people and training Jeremiah on the dining room duties. Jeremiah is working this weekend without Lisseth, since she is in Peru.  We are not sold out this morning, so I am getting the morning off while Carla and Jeremiah do breakfast together.  We have dinner service tonight, so I will start around noon and work until about 10 or so tonight.  That will be a reasonable day!!

With Jeremiah and Lisseth coming up to speed on breakfast service and the mad rush of fall season being over, we are entering the last 2 months of our stay here with a fresh perspective.  Carla and I should both be able to take 2 days in a row off every week, from  now until we leave. Our work days should not be too difficult, for the most part, because we will be relatively slow during the week.  Even if we are sold out on weekends, the next couple of months will be relatively easy.  This will give us time to focus on our health and plan our departure from New Hampshire. 

I set up an appointment with the consultants I will be working with on November 15th, in Brattleboro Vermont.  The idea is that they will help us locate our new inn, including doing valuations, helping with the negotiations, helping us put together loan packets for the bank, etc.  I am looking forward to the face-to-face meeting in November.  I will be working primarily with Evan, the grandson (or great-nephew) of the founders of the consulting firm.  I have high hopes that it will be a lot of fun to work with him.

We had three solid days of rain and the sun finally broke through yesterday.  I knew the rain and wind would blow most of the leaves off the trees, so I went on a hike on Monday to experience fall in New Hampshire before the spectacular beauty was gone for the season.  I am glad I did, as most of the trees are now bare.

I met with Alexis, my trainer, on Wednesday and worked out with her for about 40 minutes, then we did 20 minutes of stretching. On Thursday I lifted weights for about an hour.  I am getting ready to for for a long walk/jog.  That will be 4 days with exercise this week.  I do believe that is a record, since becoming an innkeeper.  My goal is to exercise 6 days a week until we leave.  So far, so good.

I promised to take Paco, Jeremiah's golden retriever, on my walk, so I better get going.  Talk to you soon.

Have a wonder day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment