Tuesday, January 16, 2018

1/16/17: Still Sugar Free and sneak peak at properties we are beginning to look at.

I know I haven't put up a blog post in the last few days, but I want to reassure you that I am still sugar free.  Yes, I have thought about eating sweets, already this morning I have had to tell myself no about 20 times.  I don't know if it is getting easier or not.  Perhaps it is getting easier, only because I've been sugar free for about a week and I don't want to "blow it."  I still have consistent cravings and I am eating a little more than I should if my goal is to lose weight.  Sometimes when the sugar cravings get intense I will eat some nuts or some wheat free crackers (Mary's Gone Crackers) with hummus.  I need to reduce/eliminate this snacking if I want to lose weight, which I do.  One step at a time.

My body feels better, both because of the elimination of sugar from my diet and the weight lifting.  I'm less creaky and sore and I am getting stronger.  I am beginning to recover from the abuse of the last 12 months.  The fact of the matter is that it hurt to be on my feet for 14+ hours a day, almost every day.  That was one of the lessons I learned from my experience as an innkeeper.  We need to buy an inn that can afford a small staff.  I can handle being on my feet 8 hours a day, but I think any more than that is too much, for the long haul.

In case you are interested, we currently have 5 properties on our radar screen.  They are, in no particular order:

Kelly Place Bed and Breakfast in Cortez Colorado.  kellyplace.com
Summary:  11 guest rooms, 6 of which are in the main lodge and the remaining rooms are in cabins.  There is also a camping area for tents and RVs.  The property includes 37 acres and owners quarters.

Pros:  11 rooms + camping; beautiful scenery; large conference room; strong cash flow
Cons:  Perhaps a little too remote, closest town is Cortez, which isn't much of a town; rattle snakes; furnishings need to be upgraded; haven't seen photos of owners' quarter or kitchen yet.

Photos of Kelly Place Bed & Breakfast:


Duplex cabin

Courtyard

Deck on deluxe Cabin

Meeting room

Courtyard at night

Office/Check in

Property from nearby hill




Apple Orchard Inn, Durango, CO:  appleorchardinn.com
Summary:  10 rooms, 4 in main house and 6 cottages, just north of Durango in Hermosa.

Pros:  The property is adorable, but from some reviews it appears as if it may need some renovation/deferred maintenance performed.  Property is not listed for sale, but the owner responded to our solicitation letter favorably.  Beautiful grounds, with pond and lawn.  Close to Durango, CO, in the little town of Hermosa.

Cons:  May need some significant improvements.  Not sure of the current condition of the property.

Photos of the Apple Orchard Inn:


1st Cabin

2nd Cabin 

3rd Cabin

Room in Main House

Cabin porch

outside of a cabin, they are all identical

Lodge room

Lodge room

Cabin


Abineau Lodge, abineaulodge.com, south of Flagstaff, AZ.

Summary:  Potential for 10 guest rooms, all with private baths.  Currently only renting 3 guest rooms because current owners both have full time jobs.  1.7 acres.  Next door is 3 bedroom 2 bath house that could be purchased separately, as owners' quarters.  Backs up to ponderosa pine forest.  Has café, currently serving breakfast to public on weekend mornings.

Pros:  A little bit of land, only about 7 miles from Flagstaff.  Separate owners' quarters.  Professional kitchen.  Beautiful dining room & lounge.

Cons:  Currently only renting 3 rooms, would have to bring other rooms on line (we don't know yet if they are furnished) and increase advertising to start filling the inn.  Furniture needs to be upgraded.

Wedding banquet

budget twin room

dining room

dining room

queen room

outdoor wedding


lodge

back of lodge



wine bar

For more photos:
https://www.trulia.com/property/3053679789-1080-Mountainaire-Rd-Flagstaff-AZ-86005




O-Bar-O Cabins
https://durango-colorado-cabins.com/cabins/

Summary:  7 acres, 9 cabins with owners quarters on Florida River.  North of Durango, CO.

Pros:  Gorgeous property right on river; individual cabins with kitchens and decks; land; growth potential

Cons:  Concerned about potential of river flooding and damaging buildings; no common areas/dining room; not a bed and breakfast, just cabin rental; all cabins have full kitchens, concerned about upkeep and cleaning costs; very remote.



















China Clipper Inn
Ouray, CO

Summary:  Classic Bed & Breakfast.  13 guest rooms, 5 with fireplaces, 3 with hot tubs.

Pros:  13 rooms, this is the size inn we are looking for; newer construction, well appointed.  Have not seen pictures of the dining room, kitchen, or owners quarters yet.
Cons:  In the middle of town (albeit a very small town), no land.


front porch of inn

living room/library


guest room porch

guest room sitting area


luxury room bath tub


guest room porch



guest room sitting area

We are continuing to work to identify properties for me to visit during my road trip in March.  It's all very exciting.  I miss being an innkeeper and I am looking forward to finding our inn.  Perhaps we will be in our own place by the end of the year!

2 comments:

  1. Reading your pros and cons of all of these properties, Kyle and I rated our impressions of them as
    1. Apple Orchard Inn, Durango, CO
    We think the land is very beautiful.
    2. Abineau Lodge, Flagstaff
    The Lodge is very unique and looks like a great space.
    3. China Clipper Inn Ouray, CO
    By pictures, it looks as of it is in great condition. Viewing Google maps, the area looks as if there are lots of things to do not far from town and plus that it is in a small town.

    Can't wait to see and hear about more properties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brianna and Kyle, Thank you for your comments. It has been interesting to get everyone's feedback. We will keep you posted!!

      Delete