Monday, September 10, 2012

Sunday and Monday





Here is a picture of our home away from home at Moosehead Lake. Unfortunately I am having some technological difficulties with my iPad, and can't take pictures with it or do any Internet stuff without it shutting off and going back to my home page. But I can take pictures and, it seems, post one picture at a time from my iPhone, so I am giving that a shot.

I am still on track with my food and ate between 1500 and 1600 calories on both Sunday and Monday. Sunday I did not exercise because we drove until about 3:00 and then spent the afternoon and evening setting up camp, fixing dinner, and getting oriented. Yesterday we went on a four hour hike, we're estimating between 10 and 12 miles with a couple of climbs. We also went canoeing for a couple of hours, so we got plenty of exercise, yesterday.

We are having a great time. Our drive on Sunday was beautiful and we got to see a couple of historic sites. We stopped at Kingston, established in the early 1600s and the original Capitol of New York.
Church in Kingston

Kingston Street

Jack at the Kingston State House

Kingston State House

We also saw the Battle of Bennington monument. It is about 400' feet tall and we got to ride the elevator to the top of it. Jack was relieved that the stairs were closed.





Yesterday's hike was on a portion of the Appalachian Trail, or the AT, as it is known around here. We saw a few beautiful mountain ponds, crossed some beautiful creeks, and had a wonderful time. All of my working out made a huge difference on the trail. I was much more sure footed than I was this spring and did not tire easily. I ended up carrying the pack for the last three hours of the hike and hardly noticed it was there. I didn't slip or stumble at all, which has been a problem when hiking for the last three year. All of the strength training has done a great job making me more balanced and coordinated. Of course, it didn't hurt that I weigh 50 less pounds either.

Jack on the Appalachian Trail


The sky really is bluer and the trees really are greener in Maine.  I love Maine for its unspoiled beauty.

Our canoe trip was out on a 9 acre pond. We were looking for moose and didn't see any on the pond, though we saw 5 on the van ride back, but the pond was still and serene, absolutely gorgeous. It was a lovely, peaceful way to spend the evening.


We really did see a moose!!

We are planning another 10 mile hike today where we should see a lot of waterfalls. Other than that, we don't have any plans. The sky is blue, I don't know the date (and can barely figure out the day of the week), and all is well.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments: