Monday, September 3, 2012

9/3/12: Oh...and one more thing, or two

In my previous post today I forgot to mention that I now weigh less than 175 pounds!  This morning, after our weekend of festivities and traveling, I weighed 174.8!  I actually lost six-tenths of a pound this weekend, in spite of the fact that I over-ate at our picnic lunch on the wedding day.  Steven and Elizabeth had these amazing loaves of bread for each basket.  The bread was just too good with hummus or one of the delicious cheeses from the basket.  I know I ate several pieces of bread, but I didn't count them so I don't know how many calories I ate.

I have gotten very good at isolating my celebrating to an event, and not a day.  I ate a very reasonable breakfast Saturday morning, before the wedding, and had a light dinner that evening.  After the wedding celebration we (most of my family) went to the Firehouse Restaurant in Florence for dinner.  There was nothing light with protein on the menu, so I asked the waitress if I could get 4 seared scallops and a green veggie.  They had spinach, so I ended up with the scallops and sauted spinach.  Everyone else had large meals, but my little dinner was perfect after having too much to eat earlier in the day.

Yesterday was rough.  We had to get up at 4:00 in the morning in order to get the guys (Joe Rankin and David Norton) picked up and on the road in time to get to Portland for our 10:00am flights.  We didn't eat breakfast until we got to the airport at about 8:30am.  I mis-judged and didn't think I would need to eat again until we got to Kansas City, so I didn't buy any food to carry onto the plane.  I was tired, cranky, and probably a tad emotional from the weekend and ended up eating a few handfuls of Jack's dark chocolate m&ms for lunch on the plane.  Awful, I know.  We landed just before 4:00 in the afternoon, dropped David off at his house, and got home at about 5:00.  I was exhausted and drained and we decided to lie down for a nap.  We slept until morning!!!  So my eating yesterday consisted of a veggie scramble and whole wheat toast for breakfast, a 70 calorie pack of Lora Doones and m&m's for lunch, and that's it. 

This morning I woke up early determined to get back on track.  I had a snack of whole wheat toast and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter before my run since it had been so long since I had any calories.  I then went on my 5 mile run.  My food has been fine today and I am counting calories, but as they day went on I felt worse and worse.  Jack and I went to the grocery store and I barely felt like walking.  I was blaming it on everything from my horrible food the day before, getting too much sleep, and being emotionally exhausted.  Then, at about 3:30, I realized what the problem was.  I forgot to drink my coffee this morning!!  So, against my better judgment, I fixed myself a couple of cups of coffee this afternoon and I feel so much better now!!  It's silly, I know, having this addiction to caffeine, but it is surely an addiction.  I am sure someone will now send me an article telling me how bad coffee is for me and I will have to consider giving that up, too.  But for now, I am letting myself enjoy my coffee in the morning.  I have about 2 cups every morning, black.  No sugar, no sweeteners (I gave up the artificial sweetners when I learned that even though they don't have calories they tend to make you gain weight around your waist), and no milk or cream.  I'm not sure what caused me to forget my coffee this morning, except that the morning was so odd.  By the time I got back from my run Jack was up and bustling about, starting to get ready for our camping trip.  I took a quick shower, made our breakfast, and got busy, too; never stopping to think about fixing my coffee.  I'm glad I realized what it was this afternoon, so I could at least feel human for the rest of the day.

So that's my update.  I'm excited about weighing less than 175 pounds and I am looking forward to 174 so I can officially say that I have lost 50 pounds.  I feel silly about it taking me all day to realize that the reason I felt like crap all day is because I forgot to drink my coffee.  I feel better now that I have exercised, eaten well today, and had my caffeine fix!  Tomorrow we go back to work for a couple of days and Thursday we leave on vacation!!  Yeah!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment