Friday, February 19, 2016

2/19/2016: Another Scheme

The quest for the "perfect plan" is never ending.  What I am constantly seeking is that magic formula that is a combination of incentives and tools that will keep me at a healthy weight for the rest of my life.  It's not just about my weight though, it is also about exercise.  There is a big difference between weighing 150 pounds and being fit and weighing 150 pounds and being unfit.  A HUGE difference.

So, as I emerge from my convalescence and resume my normal activities, I am determined to maintain my weight at 150 pounds and resume the exercise habits that I so carefully cultivated over the last four years.

As I told my sister yesterday, I am not a natural born exerciser.  Exercising most days of the week is something I had to force myself to do.  Most of my adult life I struggled with the knowledge that I should exercise, but I really didn't want to.  I am envious of people that actually like to exercise.  I am not one of them.  But, over the last four years, I have developed enough of an appreciation for the benefits of exercise that I now know that exercising almost every day for the rest of my life is something I have to do.  I don't say that I hate exercising anymore.  I still struggle to get out of bed and put on my gym clothes, but once I get past that hurdle, actually exercising for an hour is not that bad.

With regard to diet, I know what to eat.  Jack and I have a very clean and healthy diet.  High quality proteins, in reasonable quantities, lots of vegetables, and enough fruit to be satisfying.  We don't eat any crap food, not as a rule.  I have decided that dairy doesn't suit me, so it is not part of my diet.  We don't eat any grains, either.  I cook almost all of our food.  We don't buy any manufactured foods and we very seldom eat out.  So I'm not interested in the next fad diet.

I don't need or want to lose 10 pounds in two weeks.  I don't need or want any miracle pills or special shakes.  I know we have a healthy diet and I am close to my "goal" weight.  So I have the tools.  What I really need is the incentive to use them, consistently, forever.

I admit that I am constantly changing schemes.  What I use for motivation today may very well be tossed out for another incentive tomorrow.  But I came up with a new scheme on Tuesday and it still feels good today.  That's three whole days.  Maybe I am on to something.

This is the deal:

I have become somewhat obsessed with shopping for clothes.  I have also found myself to be always on the lookout for shoes, sandals, or boots that are attractive and fit me (I wear a 9 EE).  I want to be able to go off program (with regard to food) every now and then, for parties and special occasions.  In fact, last weekend, I did go off program for one evening.  I gained 4 pounds.  I have lost three of those pounds since then, but, man, I have to be careful.  I really do want to weigh 150 pounds for the rest of my life.  I can't have off program days very often and maintain my weight.

So, this is the incentive:  As long as I weigh more than 150 pounds I can't buy new clothes or new shoes.  I also must stay 100% on program if I weigh more than 150 pounds.  When I weigh 150 pounds (or less) I can go off program for an evening and I can buy myself new outfits.

I think this plan works, because it gives me the flexibility to go off program, but it gives me the incentive to get back on program, quickly.  Also, it makes sense with regards to clothes, because that way I will only have one size in my closet, forever.  I won't be buying larger clothes because I've gained a little weight.

Exercise is not explicit in this plan, but it is implicit.  The more muscle mass I have, the less diligent I need to be with regard to food.  Right now, I have to be very careful about what I eat.  I am looking forward to getting my muscles fired back up so that they start burning more calories.

It's getting late - I've got to run.  I'll proof read later.

Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment