Saturday, April 16, 2016

4/16/2016: 4 Months Post-Op Pics and 12 Week Challenge!

Hello Everyone!

OK - It's been awhile.  Talking about recovery got old.  Work got way too busy.  I lost some motivation to blog.  Party season derailed me a little bit (our 7th wedding anniversary and Jack's 60th birthday party).  I kept trying to exercise, but my body wasn't quite recovered enough.  I got cranky, irritated and frustrated.  And I was just plain tired.

But it's a new day!!  Spring is in the air, the lilacs are blooming, and I'm feeling much, much stronger.  So hey, what do you say?  Let's get started, again!!

First, let's talk surgery results.  I will not post breast photos on the internet for everyone to see, but here are my before and after tummy photos.  Even I am impressed with the difference in these photos and I've been looking at the results every day for 4 months!
Before surgery:  @ approximately 158 pounds

4 months post-op:  4/16/2016 @ 163.4 pounds
Suffice it to say that there is an even bigger improvement with my breasts.  'Nuff said about that!!

I am going back the surgeon's office on Wednesday, April 20th, for some minor touch-up work.  He is going to straighten the abdominal scar where it dips down on the left side, nip & tuck the "dog ears" on either side of the abdominal scar, and he is going to do steroid injections in the breast scars (from directly under the center of my breast, around the side, to under my arms).  The scars under my arms are much thicker than they should be and they are still painful.  The steroid injections will hurt, but  they should facilitate the healing of the scars.  It's unfortunate that those scars are not healing as they should, the rest of my scars look great.  I don't know why those scars aren't healing as well as the others, but the steroid injections should help.

I know you can't see it in the before photo, because of the rolls of skin and fat, but the mole that is visible in the after photo, under my belly button, used to be about two inches above my belly button.  Also, in the after photo you can see a small vertical scar below the mole, that is where my belly button used to be.  That gives you an idea of how much he pulled down my skin.

As you can see, I still have stretch marks, there is nothing we can do about that, but wow!, what a difference the surgery has made.  My clothes fit much, much better.

Now, comes the next step - getting back in shape.  Four months of inactivity (and 6 weeks of not being careful with my diet) has taken it's toll.  I am in terrible shape.  I kept starting and stopping and starting and stopping exercise programs.  I'd start because I felt lazy and sluggish and because my arms and legs were starting to jiggle a little too much.  I'd stop because the exercise was uncomfortable and I could tell my body wasn't quite ready.  Finally, I got so frustrated that I started eating off program. Talk about adding insult to injury. In case you're wondering, there was a little bit of drinking going on, too.  I thought about hiring a personal trainer, but hated the idea of starting all over with someone new and I really didn't want to join another gym just to be able to have access to a personal trainer that I didn't know.

That all changed two weeks ago.  I still had the contact information for Lauren, a personal trainer that I worked with when I belonged to Gold's Gym.  I called her and we worked out an arrangement that I am absolutely thrilled with!  She comes to my house once a week for a one hour personal training session.  In addition, she provides me with two additional strength training workouts per week.  I text her with progress updates and questions throughout the week.  I have plenty of equipment at home for her to be able to design robust strength training workouts.  This morning was our 3rd at-home training session and it is working out beautifully for both of us.

In addition to lifting weights 3 times a week, I am jogging three times a week.  The 7th day of the week is a rest day.  With regard to food, this is my fourth day back on the Whole 30 program.  No sugar, grains, alcohol, dairy, etc.  I am not going to get into details on "What is the Whole 30," as I have described it in detail in previous blog posts, but I am back "On Program," which means that I am back to eating the Whole 30 way.

That pretty much gets you caught up.

Now it is time to tell you what I am going to do as I move forward and work at getting back into really good shape.

First, why is this important?  That is an easy questions to answer, I like the way I feel when I am fit and strong and when my diet is clean.  There are so many benefits I can't describe them all, but I will list a few.  When I am fit and strong and my diet is clean:

  • I feel energetic
  • I sleep better
  • I feel like a young person
  • My memory improves
  • My balance improves
  • I am more optimistic
  • I'm happier
  • I find more joy in everyday life
  • My clothes fit better
  • I feel sexy
  • I am more playful
  • I flirt with my husband more
  • I am stronger and can lift more and do more
  • Hiking is more fun
  • I'm a better kickball player (can kick the ball further, run faster, am more coordinated, making it easier to catch the ball)
  • It is easier for me to keep up with my grandchildren
  • I feel like I am actively working at improving my odds of being healthy into old age
  • I feel more comfortable in my clothes
  • I am more confident
  • I feel more like me
Right now, even though I am thrilled with my surgery results, I am not fit and I am not strong.  My upper arms wave in the breeze and my thighs are a jiggly mess.  I feel puffy and weak.  Three weeks ago I couldn't jog 1/4 mile or do 3 push-ups without resting.  Before surgery I was running 4 miles easily and could do 30 push-ups in a minute.  It's amazing what 4 months of inactivity will do.  I knew this was going to be an unfortunate consequence of the surgery.  I also knew I would have to kick myself in the ass to get started again.  Today is the day that I am seriously committing myself to getting my rear in gear!!

Two weeks ago I started the process of getting serious about exercise again and I've already made real progress.  I can now do 6 push-ups and I can run 1 1/4 miles without walking.  Yeah!!  It's encouraging to see my body respond this way.  Now I am ready to take on the challenge of getting back into excellent shape.  To motivate myself I have made a chart and taken before photos.  In addition, I have established a set of goals for my 12 Week Challenge.  First, the start photos:

 
4/16/2016 Before Photos - 163.4 Pounds:  4 months post-op

Ugh.  I kind of hate posting these, yet it is motivational for me to share them, so that I can show you the improvements from week to week.  My back.  Oh, goodness, I have to do something about my back!  As a point of reference, this is what my back looked like, before surgery, when I was in much better shape (but still had a really saggy stomach and even saggier breasts):
2015 - pre-surgery.  Approximately 158 pounds

Yes, my back will look much better in 12 weeks than it does now!  I promise myself that!!

And now the chart (you know how I love my charts!):

4/16/16:  12 Week Challenge Chart - Day 1!
The chart is for tracking weight loss, as well as progress on all goals of my 12 week challenge, that are detailed, below:

Start Date:  4/16/2016

End Date:  7/9/2016

WEIGHT GOAL

Start weight: 163.4 lbs
Goal weight: 150 lbs


FITNESS GOALS
Start jog distance (before I have to walk): 1.25 Miles
Goal jog distance:  3.0 Miles


Start push-ups to fail:  6
Goal push-ups to fail:  20


Start bent-arm-hang to fail:  0 Sec
Goal bent-arm-hang to fail:  5 Seconds


MEASUREMENT GOALS
Start right bicep:  13 ½”
Goal right bicep:  12”


Start circumference right under bra:  34 ½”
Goal circumference right under bra:  32 ½”


Start circumference at belly button:  34 ¼”
Goal circumference at belly button:  32 ¼


Start circumference at top of hip bone:  39 ¼”
Goal circumference at top of hip bone:  36 ¼”


Start right thigh 9 inches above knee:  21 ½”
Goal right thigh, 9 inches above knee:  23”



During my 12 Week Challenge I will:
  • Exercise 6 days a week
  • Eat On Program (including abstaining from all sugar and alcohol)
  • Weigh myself and record my weight, daily
  • Update my blog posts regularly
  • Measure my progress towards the goals listed above every 4 weeks.
I am excited to have goals established and a plan for getting my strength back.  I am looking forward to feeling great and having a little less jiggle in my wiggle!!  I hope you will stop by from time to time to check on my progress.  Words of encouragement are welcome!!

Here's to our good health!!



7 comments:

  1. Back at it. Good to see. I think are at some risk of developing body dysmorphic syndrome. Your thighs are not a mess and your back is not bad either. Look at that monster that was your abdomen and then look at your thighs or back. The abdomen was not reasonable. Your back and thighs are. Get fit because it makes you feel better, but work on accepting your excellent body ad it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I appreciate your concern, and perhaps I exaggerate my dissatisfaction with the way my body looks. While my primary motivation for exercising is to be healthy so that I can live robustly into my old age, I am also motivated by how exercise transforms my body. I like the fact that lifting weights for an hour three days a week causes my arms to be less flabby and tightens up my thighs. In a way, seeing the degradation of my muscle tone is like the canary in the coal mine telling me to get busy again. I don't think it is an unhealthy obsession as much as it is a realistic assessment of the fact that weight lifting makes a difference. I can see it in the mirror. I can't see why it is a bad thing if that motivates me. It's so easy to not exercise. I really do need all the motivation I can muster to get out there and get it done. It just so happens that looking good in a skirt is one small piece of what motivates me. I will keep your comments in mind, though. I've worked too hard on my mental health not to take your concerns to heart. Thank you for being a great sister!

      Delete
  2. I always love it when you blog. I know that when I get off track, it doesn't last too long because blogging keeps me accountable. It's not fun to admit to too many bad days, so I get back on track. When you reach your goal, keep blogging, and just talking about how awesome you feel and how awesome you are! Do it for your readers. It inspires us to stay healthy! Excited to watch your progress! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie!! I'll try to keep blogging after I reach goal because it does help keep me on track. I've had a few other people mention that they miss my blog posts, too. I get bored with it though. I need to think of something that keeps me interested in blogging, after reaching goal.

      I am glad about Jessie moving in with you for awhile. That sounds like a good step for her. I think you probably will enjoy having her there, too. I hope it turns out to be a positive experience for all three of you. Good luck!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow this has brought me to tears. You have definately inspired me to do better and prepare for this journey! I have been soo self consists about the appeared ve of my stomach it has truly affected my quality of life! No one understands the struggle of doing everything right but not being able tk achieve the results your want due to loose skin and seperate abdominal muscles. Prayerfully I can have my surgery soon so I can to he happier and healthier. Thank you for sharing your story you are an amazing woman!

    LaToi-ya Camareno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaToi-ya, thank you for your comment!! It is a long journey. And you're right, it is hard for people to understand how frustrating it is to work your butt off and still look like crap. In my before picture, I was actually in much better physical condition and weighed five pounds less than I did in my after picture, since it's been 4 months since I've been able to work out regularly. I'd look in the mirror and get so frustrated. Hang in there. I'm here for you if you need me.

      See you Sunday!!
      Roberta

      Delete