Monday, April 1, 2013

4/1/2013: Quick Trip to Denver

I am through security and sitting at the gate waiting for my flight for a quick, 36 hour trip to Denver and Vail.  I'm going to Denver to meet with a vendor and then I am spending the rest of my time in Colorado visiting with Carla and her boyfriend, Christian.  I am looking forward to seeing my little girl and meeting Christian.  It'll be a quick trip, but it should be fun.  I'll be home late tomorrow evening.  Chances are I won't get a chance to blog tomorrow, so my next post will probably be Wednesday morning.

Still wheat free and still loving it.  Already, it is making traveling easier.  I don't even need to think about buying a muffin at Starbucks, I don't eat wheat.  It is amazing how many of the Dead Foods have wheat in them.  Not eating wheat eliminates many of the temptations out there.  Now that it has been over two weeks since I stopped eating wheat, I really don't even want it anymore.  It's making managing my food much easier.

There is another change underway and I don't know the exact cause of it.  As I told Jack, I don't have a very controlled experiment going on for this one.  My lazy gene seems to have gone dormant.  I am doing a lot more of the little things that pop up during the day rather than seeing that they need to be done and walking on past them.  These are things like picking up my clothes and putting them away, washing the few dirty dishes in the sink, making a grocery list on Saturday morning instead of Sunday afternoon, cooking meals instead of deciding I am too tired, and picking up my shoes and putting them in the bedroom rather than letting them clutter up the whole house.  There are two potential causes of this change.  First, perhaps it is not eating wheat.  I'm less tired, more alert, have more energy.  These little things that seemed like a chore before seem like less of a chore.  Second, I started making the bed after reading "Habit," hoping it would be a keystone habit that would lead me to doing more or the little chores throughout the day.  As soon as I started making the bed every day, I started putting my clothes away almost every day.  Those are the only two chores I consciously started to do every day.  I've just noticed in the last few days that a lot of these other things are getting done, too.  Perhaps it is a combination of developing a keystone habit and having more energy.

I don't just have more energy, I am thinking more clearly as well.  Part of the reason I am doing things like picking up my shoes and washing my dishes is because I am more aware of what a nuisance it must be for Jack to be walking around my shoes and coming home to my dirty dishes in the sink.  Jack does a lot around the house, like vacuuming, dusting, and the laundry.  He sure doesn't need to be picking up my crap and washing my dishes, too.  It the last week or so I have been more aware of how my habit of not taking care of my stuff causes Jack to have to clean up after me.  That's not right.  Little things catch my attention that didn't before, like the kitchen table being a mess or my car being trashed.  I just ignored those things before.  Now I stop and clean the table or pick the trash up out of my car.  Interesting.

I tried a couple of new recipes this week, spinach and Gouda stuffed chicken and sweet potato, quinoa, and tempeh burgers.  The chicken was good, but I haven't had a chance to try a burger yet.  I made them last night for the week.  I'll get to have one when I get home.  I am glad that Jack is being wheat free for another week and it is causing me to want to be more creative with my cooking, to make sure he has food in the house and he does not have to resort to Campbell's soup or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  This weekend I am going to make a big pot of chicken soup so I can freeze individual portions for Jack.  That way when I don't eat dinner and have not had a chance to cook, Jack can heat up a bowl of soup that will actually be good for him.

Well, it is almost time to board, so I have to run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment