Sunday, November 26, 2017

11/26/17: Carla's Last Big Weekend at the Bernerhof!

Carla's last day here at the Bernerhof Inn is November 30, so this is her last big weekend.  She is working breakfast this morning with the new innkeepers so I get the morning off.  After she helps them cook breakfast for 24 people, she'll train Lisseth (and me) on how to make chocolate covered strawberries and how to make a dozen rose flower arrangement, then that will be pretty much it for her.  We only have 3 couples spending the night tonight, so I will do breakfast on my own and then for the rest of the week we are empty.  EMPTY!  EMPTY!!!!!  I cannot remember the last night that we didn't have any guests in the house.  It was probably May.  I am off on Monday and Tuesday, so Carla will be covering the  phones, checking emails, etc., but she will be spending most of her time moving out of her room.  Since I am working this evening and tomorrow morning, and we will be empty after that through the 30th, her last guest related activities will be complete after breakfast today.  She's pretty dang excited about that.  I am not nearly as excited about her departure as she is, but I am glad that we decided to make Nov. 30th her last day.  There is already tension developing with J&L, which I think is unavoidable as they want to do things their way and we keep doing things our way.  There is no reason both Carla and I need to work those last three weeks.  We're actually looking forward to spending more play time together, since when I am off she won't be working.  It will be kind of ironic that in the 3 weeks that we don't live together in NH we will spend more leisure time together than we did in the 11 1/2 months that we lived together.  We have not had the same day off since we started on December 19th.  I think we've managed to go out to eat together twice since we started.  It's definitely a good thing that we made this decision.

I'll spend my two days off this week going through the inn and the kitchen collecting all of my stuff, boxing it up, and taking it to storage.  Any essential items in the kitchen that were mine we will replace, but I want to get all of my stuff out of there before they take over.  It will be a lot more awkward once they start.  I'll also make a final pass through my room, taking the last of my stuff to storage that is not essential for my last 3 weeks.  By the time J&L move in, the only things of mine that will be in the inn are the few things in my room and the kitchen that it would be uncomfortable to live without.  Moving out on the 21st & 22nd won't take very long.  The only things left will be my computer and clothes.

I've been doing much better with my food over the last couple of days.  I feel TONS better.  I've stopped ODing on sugar.  All of a sudden I just don't need it anymore.  I think it is all related to the fact that I know I am going to see Jack in 26 days.  I know I won't lose a lot of weight before he gets here, but I sure can feel better.  I feel a sense of relief.  Even though I know this last few weeks will be challenging, after the 30th, running the inn will no longer be our responsibility.  J&L are taking over, Carla is moving out, and I am staying here to finish training them.  I get to take a huge step back and focus on writing the operations manual, getting the books ready to close out for the year, etc.  I'm ready for that.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I am ready for this gig to end, I have no regrets with regard to spending this last year here.  I have learned a vast amount of incredibly important things about myself and about inn-keeping.  I got to spend a year with my daughter and a lot of what I learned about inn-keeping I learned from her.  Jack and I do still plan on buying our own inn, but there are so many mistakes I will not make because of this experience.  I have no regrets at all.  I am looking forward to what comes next with confidence that we are going in the right direction.

I hope you have a great day.  I know my today will be better than my yesterday because I am one day closer to being with Jackie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment