Friday, January 25, 2013

1/25/2013: It's Good to be Home

That was a long trip.  I left for China Tuesday morning, January 15th, and got home Wednesday evening, January 23rd.  By Sunday I was ready to come home.  I missed my husband, my bed and I even missed blogging!  The blogspot website is blocked by the Chinese government so I can't blog from there.  I could have written posts and put them up when I got home and I tried to do that a couple of times, but for some reason I wasn't very motivated to write a blog post knowing I wouldn't be able to post it until I got home.

The trip went well.  This was my third trip to China and the first time I went with my own agenda.  I spent the entire time working with the accounting staff there and we got everything done that I wanted to get done.  It felt very productive and worthwhile.  We solved some of the problems we were having and I have a better understanding of their accounting procedures, so from my perspective, it was a good trip.  The engineers also had a good a trip and had encouraging meetings with a couple of prospective customers.  It's all looking good.

While in China I was able to stick closely to my training schedule.  I only missed one upper body workout (I did not take losing a day to crossing the international date line into consideration) and I was able to make that up when I got home.  Therefore, as of today, I am right on schedule.  Here is a quick rundown of what my first two weeks of training have looked like so far:

Training Week 1:
Sunday:  1 hour of racquetball and 55 minutes (5 miles) running on the treadmill
Monday:  62 minutes (2300 meters) swimming
Tuesday:  Strength Training - Lower Body
Wednesday:  Lost - Crossed Date Line
Thursday:  Bike 38 minutes and Strength Training - Upper Body
Friday:  Run 5 miles on Treadmill
Saturday:  Strength Training - Lower Body

Training Week 2:
Sunday:  Bike 38 minutes and Strength Training - Upper Body
Monday:  Bike/Run Brick (Bike 38 minutes/Run 5 Miles)
Tuesday:  Swim 2000 Meters
Wednesday:  Travel Day
Thursday:  Run 5 miles and Strength Training - Upper Body
Friday:  Strength Training - Lower Body
Saturday:  Tomorrow

I am sure all of the exercise made a difference when it came to managing my weight while in China.  I weighed exactly the same yesterday as I did the day I left.  I never have counted calories while in China because it is so difficult to know exactly what I am eating.  I'll start counting calories again, today.

I'm feeling a little jet-laggy today, even though I did OK yesterday.  I got a very good night's sleep Wednesday, after my 24 hour travel day and going bowling Wednesday evening I was exhausted and went to bed at 10:30 pm and slept until 9 am.  But last night I went to the gym in the evening and between the evening exercise and my body being 14 hours ahead of our time zone I was awake most of the night.  It may be a rough day at work today.  I'll get through as much of the day as I can, but I may end up calling it quits early, today.  We'll see what happens.



3 comments:

  1. Good luck with work tomorrow! Wow that is a lot of working out in China! It's very cool that you can do that much on the treadmill. My doctor has advised that on that machine, it would be safer for me to walk fast/uphill than run due to my fragile bladder and intestines. Still, even though I can bike really hard for over an hour, walking at a ten percent incline wipes me out after only five minutes! I feel a stinging/burning sensation where my lungs are. Did you ever have that?

    Great job :) Glad you are back and blogging! I missed reading your blog each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time my lungs sting is if I get my heart rate really really high and I am incredibly short of breath. Have you ever worn a heart rate monitor when you work out. It is possible that the 10% incline is too much. You want to get your heart rate up to 75 - 80% of max an not a lot higher than that. That's great exercise though, walking on an incline. Keep experimenting with a speed and incline that work for you so that you are working hard, but your lungs are not searing in pain, for about an hour.

      I'm proud of you for all the hard work you are putting in.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense. There is a heart rate monitor on the bike and the elliptical (which I did today), but not the treadmill. I'll try a more moderate incline again. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete