Friday, January 4, 2013

1/4/2013: Moving on

Morning Weight:  154.0
This Morning's Exercise: Strength Training - Upper Body
Yesterday's Calories: 1675
Vitamins:  1-A-Day, D, B-Complex, Calcium, Glucosamine

I worked out with Jeremy Walters today and we focused on upper body.  My strength training regimen will change to reflect my new goal to decrease % of body fat.  I will alternate upper body workouts and lower body workouts, working each muscle group harder than I was working it before and giving them a longer break to recover.

We did measurements today.  I'll update them on my blog tomorrow.  Jeremy measured my body fat with calipers and got 28.7%.  But even that number fluctuated a lot, depending on the age that he entered into the calculation.  Because I am fit and have been working out a lot over the last 10 months, he put in 30.  If he had put in 50 it would have calculated my body fat at about 33%.  The reason for the disparity is because the formulas assume a larger % of fat around the internal organs as you age.  Because of my fitness level, Jeremy believes that is an inaccurate assumption.  It's just another example of how measuring body fat is an inexact science.  I would like to get my body fat tested using a submersion test or a Dexa scan, but I have only been able to find one place in the Kansas City area that does a Dexa scan and it is a men's health center.  I haven't been able to find anyplace that does a submersion test.  Jeremy and I talked about it this morning and he said that he thinks I can get it done at KU in Lawrence.  He is going to check into that for me.  I would like to get an accurate measurement now, and get it measured once a quarter.  It is difficult to have reducing body fat % as a goal if getting an accurate and consistent measurement seems to be almost impossible.  I will do more research on finding a place that does a submersion test or Dexa scan this weekend.

My gut hurts and it has hurt ever since Monday night.  I guess my body is not accustomed to the amount or richness of the food I ate.  Or perhaps it was the wine.  Either way, my belly is not happy.  The gas is painful and my belly feels hard and bloated.  I hope that it won't be much longer before it all gets back to normal down there.  I am open to suggestions on how to get my digestive system back on track. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aunt Berta,

    Good luck! Hopefully that KU really does have a submersion test. I'm sorry your digestion and belly have been hurting... boy do I know how that sucks!

    I am in my gym clothes now ready to head out the door! Here's to 2013 goals!

    ReplyDelete