Sunday, February 17, 2013

2/17/2013: Sunday Morning

Yesterday's day of nothing to do turned into a pretty busy day, after all.  After paying off the Rabbit, we went to the bowling alley to practice bowling for a while.  Bob was available, so we had another lesson.  We both picked up a few more hints and our last game after our lesson Jack bowled a 187 and I bowled a 164.  Not bad, not bad at all!

After bowling we had lunch at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants.  It is called Guadalajara and it is on the corner of State Line and 103rd Street.  I like it because the food tastes very fresh and very light.  It is not loaded down with tons of cheese and beans and I can get a delicious meal at a restaurant within a reasonable number of calories.  After lunch we went shopping for two things, a birthday present for Sharlynne and a new refrigerator. 

A new refrigerator?  That's crazy talk, but yes we did it.  I have disliked the refrigerator in the house since we bought the house.  The only good thing about that fridge is the fact that we were able to get it and the stove thrown into the bargain when we bought the house so we didn't have to buy a refrigerator three and a half years ago.  The fridge has been something I've had to work around ever since.  The most frustrating part of it is that it is a side-by-side and for all practical purposes the freezer is useless.  There is no room in it and it is almost impossible to use it for freezing cookies, setting frostings on cakes, etc... 

In spite of how much I have disliked the fridge, after first looking at refrigerators a couple of years ago, I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one when we had one that worked and we did not have the cash to pay for one.  The last time we looked at refrigerators was at Christmas.  I passed yet again.

Well, two things have changed since Christmas.  First the refrigerator broke and second, we are out of debt and we can afford to pay cash for a new fridge.  Well, actually, the ice maker broke, but close enough!  The ice maker takes up half of the already useless freezer, so if it can't even make ice the freezer is completely worthless.  There was one other thing that prompted this purchase yesterday, our fourth anniversary is on February 28th.  We decided on our first anniversary to buy each other traditional gifts.  For fourth anniversaries the traditional gifts are flowers and fruit, I think, but the alternative is appliances.  It seemed like destiny! 

There was one little snafu, of course.  There always is.  They are delivering the refrigerator today and when we got home and measured how high our spot is, we discovered we underestimated the height of the cabinet by about 1.5 inches.  So last night before going to the gym I took the small cabinet from above the refrigerator off the wall to find two different kinds of wall paper (I was not shocked by this).  We ran to the store to buy some wall paper remover and paint, and I had the wall paper off the wall about a half hour later.  My trip to the gym gave the wall enough time to dry so I could patch it when I got home.  This morning, the wall has already been sanded, a few patch spots touched up, and I will be able to paint in about an hour.  It will look as good as new! 

I am very, very excited about having a new refrigerator in the kitchen.  It's time.  In addition to deciding to finally buy a refrigerator that we have been wanting for three years, Jack and I had a very good discussion about finances yesterday over lunch.  As soon as I am done with this blog post I will begin working on a spreadsheet, laying out the different financial goals we want to achieve, now that we have reached our first goals and this watershed moment of being out of debt.  Later today we will put numbers to the conversation that we had over lunch yesterday, and Phase II of our financial plan will begin in earnest.  Phase II...that is starting to sound like a theme!

Yesterday's workout consisted of a 1500 meter swim and a 3 mile run.  I wanted to get both in because I had not run or swim at all last week and yesterday was the last day of the week.  Yes, it was hard.  Yes, it wore me out.  But if felt good to be able to get both types of exercise in before the end of the week.

This morning's weight was 152.6.  Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment