Monday, February 4, 2013

2/4/2013: Warm February So Far

It was 45 degrees at 4:30 this morning so I ran outside again today.  I can't decide whether running outdoors is easier or harder than running on a treadmill, but it is different.  I hope I continue to have opportunities to run outside this month.

I ran 5 miles in just under an hour, so it appears as if I run a little more slowly when I run outside, probably because I don't just set the pace and go.  I know I am getting stronger because the hills don't slow me down as much as they used to.  In fact, this morning I did not really notice the hills until I was half way up them and all of a sudden realized I was working harder.  Just as I was wondering why the run was getting hard all of a sudden I would notice that I was going up hill.  This is a lot better than what I was doing only a few months ago.  A few month ago I would start dreading the hills the second I started my run and have to psych myself up for each one of them.  It feels good to see the improvement.

Yesterday Jack and I played racquetball and I did much better.  I was getting set for more of the shots and doing a better job getting the ball to the wall.  We actually went into overtime for one game (still using modified scoring - I can get points when Jack serves, but he can't get points when I serve).   After playing racquetball we did a strength training workout.  I modified one of the workouts that I did last summer for Jack to do at the gym at work.  I think it will be a good all around workout for him to do a couple times a week, though it seemed to be a little too much after the racquetball yesterday.  I guess we'll see how it goes.

Between going out for dinner and ice cream (yes, ice cream!) Friday night and having a snack and half a beer while watching the super bowl last night I did not do well with my goal to start working towards weighing 150.0 on February 26th.  This morning I weighed 154 pounds.  I seem to be fluctuating between 152.5 and 154.0, without dieting at all.  I am having trouble motivating myself to count every calorie, but I know that is what I need to do to reach my goal of 150.0 by my one year anniversary.  I will do better this week.

2 comments:

  1. 154 might be"easy" to maintain with 6 to 8 hours of working out and normal eating. 150 might not be. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may just be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see my weight stay pretty consistent around 153 or so. I am thinking about weighing 150.0 on the last day of each month with a 5 pound range being fine during the month. That will keep me disciplined enough about food without obsessing about it on a daily basis. I am still thinking about this, though. I feel good and I am not particularly worried about it since my weight seems to be stable within a pound or two. So far, so good!!

      Delete