Sunday, April 24, 2016

4/24/2016: Herbs, Ball Game, Tummy Cramps, Week 1 Results

Weight: 161.4 Pounds

It is spring in Kansas City!  Yesterday was a gloriously beautiful day and we spent most of it outdoors.  We went to the Farmers' Market in the morning and bought a bunch of starts, including herbs, peppers, a couple of tomatoes, and some greens.  We also stopped by Soil Service, a local greenhouse, and bought a flat of marigolds and some seeds.  I spent the rest of the morning puttering, slowly and carefully, in my herb garden.  I didn't need to do any heavy work to prepare that garden for planting herbs, so while Jack was grocery shopping I felt comfortable getting at least that much of our garden planted.  We still need to plant the vegetable starts, but I will need Jack's help to do that this afternoon, since I'm on limited duty after my minor surgery this week.  It made me quite happy to start the garden, yesterday!  It's fun to look out the window and see marigolds and herbs growing.  I love marigolds!  They are so joyful and so easy to grow.  They bloom all summer long, too.  I also really like having an extensive herb garden.  It's so much more fun to go out in the garden and clip off the herbs that I need for a recipe than it is get them out of a jar.  Now, to get the rest of the garden planted...

Yesterday afternoon we went to the ballgame.  It was a gorgeous afternoon and evening to be outdoors and watch the Royals.  We got there quite early so that we could get our World Series replica trophies (Jack's call on that one!).  In spite of the silliness of it all, it was actually quite fun to get there early.  We stood in line for over an hour, but the weather was perfect, everyone was in a great mood and we met some interesting people.  Kansas Citians love their Royals, there is no denying that.  Unfortunately we lost, but hey, you can't have it all.  It's baseball, don't you know, and there is always tomorrow.

I was a lot more uncomfortable during the game than I thought I would be.  It was fairly difficult to sit in the stadium seat for 3 hours so I got up for a while and walked around.  I was quite slow going up steps and took it easy with my walking pace, in general.  I don't feel bad, but I am not 100%.  I have to keep that in mind as I go through the next week or two.

Yesterday started with a nice breakfast that was different from our normal breakfast fare:
"Joe's Scramble" and potatoes with veggies
  This isn't the greatest photo in the world but it was a delicious breakfast.  The eggs are scrambled with onions, mushrooms, spinach and my homemade sausage.  The veggies are fried potato cubes sauteed with peppers and onions.  It's a nice change of pace.  Often, as we did yesterday, we eat breakfast later in the morning, so it is more of a brunch than a breakfast.  Then we eat a mid-afternoon dinner and that is it for the day.  I packed a dinner to take with me to the ball park and ate it around 3:00.  My after dinner "snack" was some french fries, which I don't eat often, but are not a forbidden food on my program.  All in all, it was a decent food day considering the fact that we were at the ball park for about 7 hours.

About 15 minutes after waking up this morning, I experienced the worst stomach cramps that I can ever remember having.  Forty five minutes later, all of which were spent feeling pretty "crappy" (ha ha) in the bathroom, I felt much better.  I now know why I haven't been losing any weight.  I guess I have not been paying particular attention to the fact that I have not been "regular."  In retrospect, there are a couple of things that could have caused this problem.  Before going back on program I was eating some dairy, which I have come to realize, rather late in life, I have an intolerance to.  Dairy does mess with my digestive system.  I have been dairy free for over a week, now, so with any luck this episode will not recur.  There other thing that could have caused this is the local anesthetic that I was injected with on Wednesday.  The doctor maxed me out on the local and it would not surprise me if it has a constipating effect on the body.  Again, that should be a one-time deal and this should not recur.  Anyway, I feel much better now.  My early morning was not much fun.

As promised, Jack took my one week progress photos.  There is very little difference from the start photos, but it is interesting to take photos every week.  It'll take a few weeks, but soon I'll be able to start seeing a difference.  Here are the Week 1 Progress Photos:

My plan is to wear exactly the same thing each week in the photos, so we can see the difference from beginning to end, without taking the clothes into consideration.  I guess I didn't realize that I didn't have my bra adjusted properly in the start photo.  I think I was still half asleep.  Oh well.  It's not exactly a scientific process, is it?  I can still get the idea.

Today should be another busy day.  I have cooking to do, kickball games to go to (I am not playing), and a garden to plant (I am not doing the digging).  I best me getting on my way.

Happy Spring, Everyone!!  I hope your weather is as lovely as ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment