Wednesday, April 27, 2016

4/27/16: Stitches Come Out Today

Weight:  161.2

It's been a week since my touch-up surgery and my stitches come out this afternoon.  I'll have a better idea of when I can resume my exercise routine after that appointment.  I hope to hear that light activity can resume immediately and that full activity can be resumed after one more week.  I'll fill you in on the details, tomorrow.

The weather that came through Kansas City late last night was exciting but not too terribly fierce in our neighborhood.  I haven't heard about any significant damage in the metropolitan area, it seems like the worst of the storm hit other areas of the Midwest.  I'm glad we dodged a bullet on that one.  I always get a little anxious when I go to bed with a storm on track to hit us in the middle of the night.  I make a check list in my head as I try to fall asleep:  are my shoes close to the bed, what about my eyeglasses?  I plan on what I am going to grab on my way to the basement.  We've only had to shelter in the basement once or twice since we moved into this house 6 years ago, but every time tornadoes get close, I start to get anxious.  I'm glad this storm is past.  It'll be a fun filled spring, they are already forecasting more severe weather.  

Work is going OK.  I'm wrapping up my big projects and it looks like we are going to get the final piece of our cost savings puzzle put in place sooner that I expected.  We had a productive talk with our landlord yesterday and I think there is a reasonable solution for reducing our footprint in the building and reducing our occupancy expenses, significantly.  That is a huge relief.  I need our rent (including landlord provided common area maintenance expenses referred to as CAM) expense to be more in line with our revenues and other overhead expenses.  I think we will actually get this done.  We are starting to turn the corner and it's beginning to look like we are becoming a healthy little company.  That is very exciting!!  It's been a crazy four years.  Can you believe it?  It'll be four years in August.  How time flies when you're too damn busy to look at a calendar.

My diet is fine and I am not having any real struggles with food.  It has made a huge difference to eat lunch and dinner earlier in the day.  I don't get too hungry during the day, so I don't start getting cravings in the afternoon.  When I get home from work I am sated from my dinner, so I don't start opening cupboards looking for snacks.  My last meal is at least 4 hours before I go to bed, so I'm not going to bed right after I eat.  All in all, the plan is working.  It makes it inconvenient to eat with other people, though.  If I have a lunch meeting scheduled or a dinner out planned I'll have to figure out a way to accommodate my schedule, but that doesn't happen too often.  All is good on the food front.

Jack went back on program this week, with both food and exercise.  He had his first physical in six years (or something like that) last week and got an almost perfectly clean bill of health.  His cholesterol and his blood pressure are "border line," but aside from that he is the picture of perfect health.  The really, really good news is that his cholesterol and blood pressure are basically what they have always been, they are not getting worse as he ages.  The doctor told him that it would help to lose 10 pounds.  His wife thinks he should shoot for 15 to 20 pounds in order to get really healthy, but, for now, 10 is the goal.  Neither of us take any maintenance drugs and our plan is to keep it that way.  Jack finds the prospect of losing 10 (to 20) pounds, and keeping it off, rather daunting.  When I ask him why he says, "Because it's hard," or, "Because food tastes so good."  We've had a few serious conversations about life with very limited treats vs. life on blood pressure medication (which he took for a brief period of time several years ago when he was heavier and his blood pressure was higher).  He acknowledges that he does not like the side effects of the blood pressure medication and if he can keep his blood pressure under control by losing weight and exercising, then that is the best option.  I hate being a pest, but I'd rather be a pest and have a healthy husband by my side for 40 more years than not push him a little bit to make choices that will keep him healthy and full of vitality.  It's a bit of a tightrope walk.  I know this is his choice to make, not mine.  I also know he respects the progress I've made with my health and that he does really understand that diet and exercise have a long-term positive impact on his health.  He probably won't like that I'm blogging about this, but I guess that is one of the risks you accept when your wife keeps a blog.  Every now and then she is going to talk about her husband!  To sum up this paragraph, it makes me happy when Jack goes to the gym in the evenings and is disciplined with his food because I know he will be healthier, happier, and live longer because of it.  It doesn't mean we will never digress from our disciplined program, but it does mean our day-to-day lifestyle is a healthy and active one.

I guess that's about it for today.  The sky is lightening and the clock keeps ticking.  I best be getting to work.  I hope you all have a lovely spring day.  It looks like it will be a nice one here in Kansas City.

No comments:

Post a Comment