Saturday, May 19, 2012

5/19/2012: Man Vs. Squirrel - I Refuse to Lose

Squirrel abatement patch
 Last summer Jack and I built a cage around the tomato garden because the squirrels were eating all of my tomatoes, before they were ripe.  I did not have a chance to harvest any of them!  So we built a 7' high cage, pictured below, around the tomatoes and after that we did not lose a single one.  It was actually kind of fun watching the squirrels run all over the cage trying to find a way to get in, but not succeeding!  After the first heavy frost of the season I pulled the plants out and pretty much ignored the garden and the cage for the winter.  This spring, when I went back out to get the garden ready for this summer's tomatoes I found three squirrel sized holes in the netting.  Disbelief!  Those pesky squirrels were actually pre-planning for this summer.  But I'm bigger than they are and I have more resources, so I patched the holes, as you can see above, and we are good to go, once again.  Now I wish I had used chicken wire instead of the plastic netting because it would have been more durable.  I never considered that the squirrels would chew through the plastic, though I should have, as they are just big tailed rats.  If they chew many more holes in the cage I will put chicken wire over the plastic netting.  I am going to win the war against the squirrels!!
Tomatoes in cage to keep the squirrels out

Baby tomato
 In this picture you can see one of our many baby tomatoes.  There are about 8 or 9 babies in the garden, already.  I'm looking forward to summer tomatoes!!!
Chocolate and apple mint
 Last summer we planted several different varieties of mint in pots around the patio and they all survived the winter.  This pot is a combination of chocolate and apple mint.  I can't believe how beautiful it is, already!  Do you need a little mint?  Come on by, it's free for the picking!!
Rabbits don't jump - unravaged beets
 My other rodent problem has been rabbits.  Last year they destroyted my beets.  It was so frustrating.  There was nothing I could do to keep them out of the garden.  So this year I decided to raise all of the beds a foot and crossed my fingers that rabbits couldn't or wouldn't jump up a foot and a half to get in my garden.  So far, the plan has been a success!  The beets in the foreground and the lettuce in the background are untouched by bunnies.  Yippee!!!!
Beet greens - no bunnies
 Here's a picture of the beet greens.  No bunnies have been gnawing on these plants.  What a relief!
Herbs
Every year my garden gets a little bigger.  Last year I built the 3' x 6' raised bed for the tomatoes.  This year I decided to take all of the herbs out of my raised beds and plant them around the edge of the patio.  I filled the bed with Mel's mix and moved the herbs into the border garden.  Look at them!  They are as happy as can be and now I have more room in my raised beds!  The herbs in this garden are oregano, sage, and chives.  I've got more than I can use, so if you want fresh herbs for this evening's dinner and feel like stopping by, feel free to come by and snip a bit!!!
Lettuce
 The lettuce is doing great.  I'll have two crops this year because I planted starts and seeds at the same time.  The starts are mature, as you can see above, and have been giving us salads for a few weeks already.  The seeds I planted will be mature by the time we are done eating the starts.  Yummy!!
Watch Frog!!
I found this adorable little frog in a flea market in Wyoming the last time we visited Steve in Laramie.  He diligently watches over the garden, protecting it from pesky pests!  Thanks Watch Frog!  I appreciate your service.

My garden brings me a lot of joy.  I love growing my own food.  It just feels so right!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment