Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2, 2012: Day 1 of 30

Today was the first day of my thirty day plan to get through the beginning of the transition to my new job without losing focus on my "Get Fit" initiative.

For thirty days I will do the following, in addition to exercising for an hour a day, 6 days a week and eating less than 1500 calories per day:

1). Read from the book "Younger Next Year" for inspiration.
2). Write something in my blog every day about the book
3). Count calories and report calories consumed on my blog.
4). I will not drink alcohol.
5). Add 15 minutes of cardio in the evenings, 6 days a week, in addition to the exercise I do in the mornings

Every day for thirty days I will post my morning weight and blog about the five steps listed above.

Day 1 of 30, August 2, 2012
Weight: 183.6 pounds
"Younger Next Year" pages read: 33
Notes from book:
My quality of life really is up to me. I get choose how I will age. Humans start to age by the end of our twenties, so once we turn 30, the quality of our lives is up to us.

In fact, 70% of all of the symptoms that we associate with "normal aging" are voluntary, we don't have to experience the sore joints, weakness, obesity, and apathy we associate with aging. We can also skip 50% of all the sickness and serious accidents we'd expect to have from the time we turn 50 to the day we die. It's my choice, whether or not I want to become a radically better woman than I am now (or was on February 27th) over the next few years and then stay that way for the decades ahead. The answers on how to do that are in this book.

The fact of the matter is that most American women today will live into their mid-eighties or early nineties, whether they are in great shape or shuffling around on walkers. You are likely to live that long whether you want to or not. Statistical longevity is simply a fact of life these days. The decision I get to make isn't whether or not I will live a long time. The decision I get to make is how I want to live them. As Chris says, I have to age but I don't have to rot.

There's no question about what I've chosen. I choose to be younger next year!

Calorie count: 1290 calories

Exercise: 4 mile run this morning and 15 minutes on the elliptical, level 7, at a pace of about 130 strides per minute this evening.

Alcohol consumption: None

So far so good!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I love details and plans. So I am totally into this. I read every word. Go Ruth!!!
    I need to buy that book! Congrats on day ONE! You are incredibly awesome! You should add that to the end. Be Awesome. Then at the end, tell us you were Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is very good. It was the inspiration that started this in the first place. Ruth gave good advice when she told me to read it again. Buy it. You will never look at not exercising the same way again.

      Delete
  2. Good job. When you have succeeded, you can write a book. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book. I need something to read on my vacation.

    ReplyDelete