Thursday, August 23, 2012

August 22nd, 2012: Day 21 of 30 - Day One on the Job and Lots on My Mind...

8/22/2012: Day 21 of 30

Morning weight: 176.0
   
Today's calorie count: 1607

Morning exercise:  Strength Training - same as day 16 except I could do 6 push ups in each set from my toes before finishing the set from my knees.

Evening exercise:  30 minute swim.  46 laps of 25 meter pool, freestyle. 

Alcohol consumption: None

Going to Goodwill!

I cleaned out my closets over the weekend and this is the pile of clothes that are now too big for me to wear, which is most of the clothes that I own!  I can now fit into the smallest clothes in my closet, size 10 pants, but they are snug.  I did wear a pair of size ten pants to work last week.  They looked good, but I did bring a skirt with me just in case I ripped out a seam (which I didn't, but I did get tons of compliments on my new slim figure)!!

I went shopping this weekend to buy a few things for work/play.  That's one of the perks of the new job, the dress code, if you can call it a dress code, is pretty casual.  Jeans are totally OK.  I have several skirts in my closet that I am still wearing.  They are a size 14 and are getting too big, but they are still serviceable.  I figure I can still get one more dry cleaning out of them.  That's one of the nice thing about skirts, as they get looser they just ride lower on my hips, but at least I can still wear them while I continue to lose weight.  The jeans and pants I bought this weekend were a size 12, which I am fitting into very comfortably, now.  I only bought 2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of pants to get me through the next couple of months, until I have to buy smaller clothes!  Luckily, we had received a 20% off coupon at Kohl's, so with Kohl's standard sales and the coupon they were pretty inexpensive.

The bigger shopping front news is that I finally went bra shopping!  Until Monday I was still wearing the same bras that I was wearing before I started losing weight.  Believe me, after losing 47 pounds I needed new bras.  In fact, my bra size went from a 42DD on February 27th to a 36DDD now!!  Wow!!! Before trying on bras I thought I was probably a 38DD, so I had the cup size right but I was actually smaller on the band size than I thought I would be.  I am guessing that by the time I have lost another 26 pounds I will be a 36D - a very reasonable size.  That will be a much lighter burden to carry around!!  I'll be able to wear the three new bras I just bought until I get to my goal weight, but they weren't cheap.  Good bras are so expensive.  I paid $60 each for them.  Three bras (Macy's) cost me more than 4 pairs of pants, a shirt, a sweater, a fleece V neck top and 3 pairs of fleece pants (all of which I bought at Kohl's).  The fleece shirt and pants are for our camping trip to Maine next month.  I know it will be chilly in the mornings and evenings at the camp site, so now Jack and I both of fleece jackets and pants to wear while sitting around the camp fire.  They'll also be perfect for warm pj's this winter.  It's OK if my pajamas get a little too big for me!!

My first day at work was pretty much what I expected.  I am the first Finance Director that they have hired and the woman that has been doing the job, Kate, will still be there, but in a different capacity.  Her new title is Business Director and she will be mostly in charge of HR and Customer Service/Marketing, I think.  She is one of the co-owners of the company.  The transition is going to take a while, as she slowly gives up responsibility and I take it on.  Right now we urgently need to complete the 2011 compilation, so I started working through the list of questions from the CPA yesterday.  This is always a difficult transition, coming into an organization at this level.  The people that work for me have to invest time in training me, which can be resented to some extent, so earning their trust and respect as quickly as possible is important.  It's unfortunate that I have to dive right into this compilation so quickly, because that is forcing me to dig through dirty laundry on my first day, but we'll make it through this.  I also find it difficult not knowing anything.  It just takes time, I know, but I feel clumsy when I can't use the computer systems, don't know my fellow employees, and don't know all of the numbers on the financials.  Therefore, I am feeling sort of tense right now and will probably be tense for a while.  One of the big challenges I face is not eating to relieve the tension.  I have 9 days left of the 30 day plan, and then I will need another short term plan to get through September.  This weekend I will need to buy a new book (I'll probably get Aging Well) to read and blog about.  It's important for me to keep my head actively engaged in the game!

Maybe I am also feeling the Mommy Blues a little bit as Steven's wedding is quickly approaching.  Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy and excited for him.  I don't know Elizabeth well, but I love what I know.  She is a wonderfully loving, kind, and intelligent woman.  She shares Steven's love for English and is every bit as intellectual as he is, which I think is something he really needs in a partner.  I am also impressed with Steven and how he has grown since he and Elizabeth have been together.  I think part of the transition in Steven has come about because Elizabeth has a three year old daughter, Ellia.  All of a sudden, Steven is becoming a dad!  There is nothing like being a parent that changes one's perspective of the world.  I love my son, dearly, and I am happy for him and his bride.  I couldn't be more pleased.  But, it is another transition.  He's moving on to a completely different stage of his life and all Momma gets to do is watch and pray for their happiness. 

I don't talk about my husband much, I guess because he's such a steady influence in my life.  That steadiness doesn't provide much to write about, which is a good thing!  But when I think about what I hope for, for Steven and Elizabeth, it makes me think about Jack and me.  Jack and I got married 3 1/2 years ago after being friends for 5 years and dating for another year after that.  In spite of getting married somewhat later in life, Jack and I have something that I hope that Steven and Elizabeth, and every other couple I know, can have.  There are so many songs and poems and stories written about love, and none of them quite capture the essence of it.  How do you talk about love without sounding silly and sappy and all that nonsense.  I have to say, prior to Jack, I didn't believe all those silly love songs.  I didn't think it was possible to love someone as completely as I love Jack, or to be loved like he loves me.  I thought that kind of, "we're one," love would make a person clingy and dependent and needy and weak.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  It's a funny feeling to have someone else be part of me, but Jack is, in fact, part of me.  I tell him that I feel like I have a little Jack DNA in every cell in my body.  No matter where I go, no matter how far away Jack is, I feel like he is right there with me.  And not in a dependent, I need Jack, sort of way.  It's a comfortable, safe feeling of not being alone in the world.  It's knowing that, no matter what, he's there for me and I am there for him.  It's warm and uplifting.  His love steadies me when the seas are rocky, lifts me up when I am feeling down, soars with me when I'm on cloud nine.  It's truly amazing to love and be loved by Jack.  My fervent wish and hope for Steven and Elizabeth is that they have that same deep love for one another.  They have all of my love and support!!!  Congratulations Steven and Elizabeth!!  Love one another with everything you've got, and it will all work out, no matter what hurdles you have to jump over along the way!!

I guess I better head out to day number 2 on the job.  Another perk, the official start of the day is 9:00am.  I'll probably get there most days around 8:30.  It's kind of nice to have a longer morning at home, though.  You know how much I like my mornings! 

Have a great day!!!!!








7 comments:

  1. There is a lot of history behind the bra issue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sign of recovery is that your comment made me chuckle instead of cry. It's nice to be able to shop for myself!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what to say.

    First, I am jealous of the clothes going to DI...I think I like clothes too much

    Bras. I hate how much money goes into a silly garment.

    I know you'll stress anyway but from my limited perspective it seems to me that you always manage to slide rather gracefully into any and all situations. It won't be long before you have this going the way you want it too.

    You put into words the same question I have been asking Andrew for the last 10 years. "Do you think that there are really other married couples out there as truly happy as we are?" Every time a family member or friend has gotten married the question resurfaces.
    Last night Andrew and I watched a show that we have really been enjoying and speaking of love one of the characters spoke about "that's rare." With "that" being a deep conquers all type of love.

    Glad you and Jack are so happy and we too are hoping for as much joy for Steven.

    Love and Miss you Roberta.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! I am glad that you and Andrew share a very special relationship. Those McKown men, you just gotta love 'em!!!

      I hope we get to spend some time together before too many months pass. After Jack and I take our vacation to Maine, it may be a while before I get time off, again. It's hard being so far away from all of you!!!

      Delete
  3. I DID meet Elizabeth, and you are right on every account, she and Steve make a great pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! And I love how happy you are. It is good to know there are other happy couples out there. Mike and I have been married for 13 years, but the last 3 have been the best yet. Things just keep getting better and better with each year. I refuse to let "us" get boring. We say we have " Movie Love". Pretty corny, huh? But it makes us smile.
    You continue to amaze with me with your incredible determination! See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete