Monday, March 11, 2013

3/11/13: We Did a Little Shopping Yesterday

As of yesterday morning I had no spring clothes that fit.  Well, I owned two t-shirts that I have purchased in the last 6 months, but that was it.  The rest of my warm weather clothes had been given away, donated to Goodwill, or tossed out it it was in too bad of shape.  Everything else I own is a sweater or warm winter clothes of some sort.  Now that the weather is starting to hint at getting warm, it's time for me to get serious about doing some clothes shopping.  There is something that is kind of fun about shopping when I really need the clothes.  I don't have to feel bad about spending the money.  It's obvious that I need to shop.

We got lucky and ended up at Macy's when they were having a 50% off sale.  I think everything we purchased there yesterday was half off.  I ended up with 4 pairs of pants, 3 shirts and a jean jacket for about $250.  Not too bad.  Then we stopped in Abercrombie and Fitch, in spite of the ridiculously loud music, and I found a couple of light spring sweaters that I liked.  The most fun part of the shopping trip was the sizes that I was trying on.  I started out trying on size 8 pants.  They were all too big.  So I started trying on the sixes.  For the most part, they fit and that is what I bought.  But the last pair of pants I tried on was a cropped pair of jeans.  I grabbed a size 6, confident that the pants would fit, and they were too....BIG!  I was stunned as I walked out of the dressing room and to the rack to see if they had a size 4.  There was a size 4 on the rack, I picked them up, took them to the dressing room in disbelief, tried them on, and they fit perfectly!  Yesterday, I bought a size 4 pair of pants!  Unbelievable.  I am still sort of in shock.  Yes, they are in the ladies section, not the junior section.  There is no way I could get in to those low rise, skinny legged jeans that girls wear in a size 4, or even a 6 for that matter, but yesterday I bought an honest to God size 4 pair of pants in the ladies' department at Macy's.  It felt good!

As I was trying on tops, I started feeling like they were a little looser than I wanted them to be.  They were mediums, and they fit OK, but not great.  So I got brave and picked one of the tops out in a small.  I tried it on and it fit better than the medium did.  A small?  You have got to be kidding me.  With the exception of one shirt, all of the smalls fit better than the mediums.  This is actually taking a little getting used to.  I'm wearing a size 4 or a size 6 pair of pants and a small top; I am a small person.  When did that happen?  Wow!  The exercise continues to make a difference.

Between daylight savings time and being worried about my work, I did not sleep well last night, so I decided to take today off for exercise.  I missed last week's day off because I ended up doing my cycling on my lunch hour on Thursday to get caught up.  I needed a whole day off, so I am taking it today.  It will be good to rest.  Yesterday I played racquetball with Jack and did a lower body workout.  I came very close to winning our last game!  I started out the game with something like a 9 - 0 advantage.  Jack started playing his heart out and slowly closed the gap.  I finally got 19 points while he had 17, but after that he did not miss a shot and he ended up winning the game, 21 - 19.  But I gave him a run for his money and I am starting to close the skill gap a little.  The game was a lot of fun.  My elbow hurts a little from playing though.  I'm probably taking too many big swings at the ball, some of which I miss.  I am guessing that that is what is hurting my elbow.  I hope that as I improve, that soreness will go away.

I continue to avoid Dead Foods.  Reading 'Thinner This Year' is helping.  As we were walking through the grocery store the sweets and treats were not even tempting.  I actually saw them as poison as we were walking through the aisles.  It sure makes it a lot easier to eat the Good Stuff when you see the Dead Foods in that light.  This morning I weighed 150.2 pounds.  Almost back to my 150 goal.  That will be my baseline from now on, rather than the 153 that I have gravitated towards since the middle of January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment