Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3/12/2013: New Trainer

The trainer that I have been working with for more than a year has finally gotten out of reach for me.  First, he switched gyms.  After working out with a different trainer at 24 Hour Fitness and not being happy with that, I switched gyms, too; and followed Jeremy to Aspen in Lee's Summit.  Aspen is a brand new gym, so it is all sparkly and clean and the equipment is new and that is nice.  It really is a lot more pleasant to go to a clean, well equipped, roomy gym.  Aspen also has racquetball courts which has been great.  Jack and I enjoy going to the gym together on the weekends, playing racquetball and following the game up with a workout.  I like having Jack being part of my exercise regimen.  Also, since the gym was not even open yet when we joined, we got a great deal.  The monthly gym membership plus an hour a week of training is less expensive than just the training was at 24.  So even though I have kept my 24Hour membership so that I would have access to the pool and a gym that is open early and late close to home, I am spending less money than I was when I just belonged to 24Hour and trained there.

All of that said, the real reason I joined Aspen was so I could continue to work with Jeremy, which I did until things changed.  First, Jeremy got promoted at the Aspen in Lee's Summit.  That changed things a bit.  Because of his promotion he stopped doing personal training sessions, except for working with the few people who followed him to Aspen, of which I was one.  Because of the promotion and his new responsibilities, I could tell he was less focused on Personal Training.  OK...I could deal with that.  Then he got promoted again and moved to the Olathe Aspen a couple of weeks ago.  After a couple of weeks of radio silence and waiting somewhat impatiently for him to work his schedule out, I decided to start training with someone else, so I signed up to start working with Joshua.  This morning was our first workout together.  Jeremy did text yesterday to say he was looking for someone that would "fit my schedule," meaning a trainer that would take 5AM sessions.  It turns out that yesterday Jeremy started talking to Joshua about working with me, so when I walked in this morning, Joshua at least knew who I was.

We had a good work out this morning.  We talked about my fitness goals, which I have decided should be pretty basic.  I told him that I had given up on the idea of measuring body fat because it was such an inexact science.  It's too hard to have reducing body fat % as a goal if I can't measure it accurately.  I told him that I am training for the triathlon and that I want to be very fit.  I told him that I want to be able to do a pull-up by the end of the year, so that is my one measurable fitness goal.  I'd like to continue to improve my overall strength and get as fit as I can by the end of the year.  We talked about working on core, stabilizers, and balance; all of which are important to me.  I decided that I would like to go back to 3 full body strength training workouts a week, rather than 2 upper body and 2 lower body.  The extra strength training session was sapping my schedule and I felt like I wasn't getting enough cardio in for my tri training.  And I like the full body workouts better, anyway.  So today we had a good, yet difficult, full body workout session.  For a first session together, it went pretty well.  Now I have to re-write my schedule for the next four weeks, but that is OK.  I'll try to get that done, tonight.

Onward and upward!  I wish Jeremy the best of luck in his new position!  Joshua and I will do just fine together!

No comments:

Post a Comment