Tuesday, March 19, 2013

3/19/2013: No Wheat, Day Three

This is the morning of my third day with no wheat, after reading 'Wheat Belly' by Dr. Davis.

So far, so good.  I don't miss it at all, but then again, I wasn't eating a lot of it.  I had dry toast with my eggs in the morning and sometimes I would have a sandwich for lunch.  Not eating wheat has caused me to be a little more creative, but since the only processed food I was eating was bread, it's pretty easy for me to eliminate wheat from my diet.

This morning I sauteed a bunch of veggies to put in my eggs.  There were way more vegetables than eggs, in fact the eggs barely held all the veggies together; it was yummy.  I also had a grapefruit.  I cooked this weekend so I have stuffed peppers, sweet potatoes, and garlic rosemary chicken in the fridge for my lunch and dinners.  For snacks I am mixing frozen berries with plain Chobani Greek yogurt to get away from the sweeteners used in the pre-mixed yogurts.  I also have walnuts, macadamia nuts, fruit and avocado for snacks.  I'm certainly not going to starve.

Yesterday I was not nearly as hungry as I normally am in the afternoon and I did not have my normal 2:00 - 3:00 meltdown, which is when I usually start looking for something sweet to eat.  In fact, I was not hungry for lunch until about 1:30.  I did notice that I got hungry earlier in the morning than normal, but I think that is because I unwittingly ate a very high glycemic index fruit for breakfast, a mango.  I had my yogurt snack at about 10:00 though, and then I didn't think about food again until 1:30, when I decided I should probably eat my lunch.  I wasn't really hungry at 1:30 and I think maybe I ate more than I needed to yesterday because I am just used to eating a certain amount of food.  Today, I am going to pay more attention to just eating what I feel like a I need to eat, instead of eating the entire portion I pack.  By the end of the day yesterday I felt like I ate a little too much, even though I ate fewer calories than I normally eat in a day.  Interesting...

I am going to try to get more creative with my veggies and my fruit.  My goal will be to eat one new (or at least seldom eaten) fruit and vegetable each week.  Everything I read tells me that the best thing I can do with regard to my diet is eat a wide variety of foods.  I probably already have a wider variety in my diet than the typical American, but I get stuck in a rut, just like the rest of us.  So I have decided to have some fun in the produce section and always make a point of picking up something that I have either never eaten before or that I eat very seldom.

My Food Plan for Life is going well.  It helps me a ton to know that the Dead Foods are not an option.  I don't even think about snacking on something that is not nutritionally sound.  I don't know why, but it is so much easier when the crap is just not an option.  I guess it is the same thing I talked to Julie about, which is reducing the number of decisions I make about food.  When I pack my snack and lunch in the morning, I know that is all I am going to eat that day.  I don't even have to consider whether I'll eat the cookies getting passed around or the candy at the receptionist's desk.  I don't have to decide over and over and over again to not have something to eat.  I already made that decision, last week, when I defined my Food Plan for Life.  No Dead Food in my normal day-to-day eating.  The only time Dead Foods are permitted is for a special occasion, which must be a true special occasion.  For me, it is a plan that is working.

My workout this morning was tough!  I like my new trainer, Joshua.  Today we focused a lot on balance and whole body exercises that used free weights and whole body movements rather than isolating muscles on machines.  I need to ride a bike at lunch today.  That's the hardest thing for me to get in, the two lunch time workouts.  I get so absorbed in my work it's hard to pull away, yet I know it is the best thing I can do for myself.  I'll get it done today.


1 comment: