Wednesday, March 20, 2013

3/20/2013: Spring?

So much for getting to wear the new clothes that I bought a couple of weeks ago!  It's cold out, with a wind chill of 19 degrees on the first day of spring.  I guess I get to wear my winter clothes for another week or two.

Speaking of spring clothes, the Slim for Life ads on the radio are driving me nuts.  The further I get into my Get Fit Initiative and the more I learn about diet and exercise and how important both are to our overall health and well being, the more irritated I get with "Get Thin Quick" schemes.  The current ad touts "30 pounds in 30 days," for just $199! "If you've been lazy all winter, come to Slim For Life and get your body ready for those spring clothes."  Yeah, right.  Perhaps it is true that through some combination of mixes and powders and supplements and appetite suppressants and who knows what else you can lose 30 pounds in 30 days, but it is healthy?  Really?  Is it fat or is it some combination of fat, muscle, bone tissue, etc...?  The urge to lose weight quickly can be irresistible.  The day-in and day-out slog of eating right and exercising daily can get tiresome, it's true.  I guess that's why, for me, I have to understand why I am doing it.  It's not about how I look (well, maybe that's part of it) but it is about how I feel and how I am going to feel tomorrow, next month, next year, and 40 years from now.  For me, this whole business of exercising every day, eating nutritious foods, and avoiding Dead Foods (including wheat) is about being fit and feeling great as I get older.  It's about being able to do what I want to do when I'm 70 and 80 and 90 years old. 

Sometimes I forget that's why I am doing it.  Sometimes I don't want to get up in the morning to exercise (like this morning).  That's when habit kicks in and I do it anyway.  I really didn't want to get on the treadmill this morning.  In fact, on the way to the gym I pretty much talked myself into walking for an hour since I really didn't feel like running today.  But I did run, I just couldn't help it.  Three or four minutes into my walk I decided I was being silly, I was there, I might as well run.  I did take it a little easier than normal and ran at 5mph until I only had 10 minutes left in my hour, then I increased it to 6mph to make up for walking the first few minutes, so that I would get my full 5 miles in before my hour was up.  So yes, in spite of my desire to skip exercise today, I ran 5 miles.  But I have all my exercise in for the week, so far, and tomorrow is my rest day, so no more exercise until Friday morning.  Yeah!  I am ready for a break.

I read a lot about nutrition, health, and exercise to remind myself how important all of my daily habits are.  I didn't love the book, "Thinner This Year," but it did help me decide to eliminate Dead Foods from my everyday eating.  "Wheat Belly," was fascinating and caused me to decide to give up wheat.  Since giving up Dead Foods and wheat, my food cravings have diminished considerably, just about disappeared, actually; reading those two books helped me solve a problem that I have been grappling with over the last couple of months.  I don't know what I will read next, but I know I will be on the prowl for my next fitness related book soon.  It helps to keep myself indoctrinated in the language of fitness.  It makes it easier to consistently make good decisions if I am surrounding myself with the ideas, thoughts, and words of other people that take being healthy, seriously; even if these people aren't in my living room, at least their words influence my thoughts.  Maybe some day this will all be old hat for me, just part of my life, and I won't have to give it much thought any more.  That day isn't here yet.  This still takes active planning and discipline on my part.  And that's OK.  Whatever it takes, it's worth it.  I feel great and I know I will feel great again tomorrow!!  What more could I want?

5 comments:

  1. Amen sister! I just spent the morning talking someone out of taking 'detox' pills. It's an industry that prays on desperate people who need real information. Keep up your motivation, it is inspiring! -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why you need to write the book. You will need a hook to get people to open it, because you can't say ~ Just exercise, eat well, and eat less EVERYDAY and you can lose 52 pounds in 52 weeks. But your book will give readers real tools, step by step directions, and inspiration. As for other books to read,
    I just finished, Fat Chance, which is about sugar. Technical but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the book is stewing and I have a plan. I loose plan, but a plan nevertheless. I love my new job. It is fun, interesting, I work with great people, lots of potential for the company, for me, and the people who work here. But right now, it gets most of my mental energy. It's still new and it takes a lot out of me to do as much as I can every day, until I get a real grip on everything. I think I will be in this phase for about 6 more months, then the job will be less mind blowing and I will have mental energy for my next big project - which will be my book. In the mean time, the blog is a great place for me to record my thoughts everyday. I am looking forward to going back to the beginning and seeing where my brain was then. Also, I have had some inspiration about what goes in the first few chapters. I will blog about that soon. My first indoctrination into good vs. dead food was when I was 23 years old and my blood pressure was going up with my second pregnancy...it is an interesting story. Two high blood pressure pregnancies, two doctors, two different treatments, two very different results. First pregnancy I got hypertension medication, diaretics, and instructions for bed rest. Result: toxemia, and a premature baby weighing 5 pounds that had underdeveloped lungs. Second pregnancy I got a list of foods not to eat, which was everything I was eating that I had no idea was bad for me, and instructions to exercise. Result: full term pregnancy, a healthy baby that weight 8lb 10oz, that slept through the night when she was weeks old. That was the beginning of my education about food. I realized this because I am constantly surprised when people don't know stuff that I have "known forever." That made me think back to when did I really learn that canned soup is Dead Food? It was when I was 23 years old and pregnant with Carla and I got that list from my doctor. Yes, I need to blog about this soon, so I don't forget to put it in my book!

      Delete
  3. Hey! You are doing it the responsible and healthy way. I would recommend "The WIllpower Instinct" - I am about to re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg...I hate the slim for life commercials also. I went to one of their free spiels once and had a 50 percent off coupon from a neighbor who had been successful. It was too restirctive/weird on diet plan and a six week supply of their "diet" pills was $1200. REALLY!!!??? Not realistic..its what I call the lose it and gain it right back plan. Ugh! Berta you have totally motivatd me to make some changes. I have made a few....no more soda...hard at first...now I completely do not miss it! Now need to cut the crap food out and do more strength training vs just cardio.

    ReplyDelete