Friday, September 2, 2016

9/2/16: Run is Done - And Thoughts on Cross Training

Week 3, Run 3, for Distance.  5 miles, Time 1:04:09, avg speed 12:36/mile.  I don't know why I was faster today than normal.  My goal isn't for speed, my goal is to get the miles in.

I have been changing my attitude about running.  I set my distance and run as much of it as I feel like running.  Then I walk.  When I am tired of walking I run again, and then I walk, and so on until the distance is done.  I used to push myself to run a little further each time, now I am focusing on listening to my body.  It makes running less of a chore and a little more fun.  It also reduces the risk of injury.  I think it makes sense.

I have also been thinking about cross training.  It occurs to me that anyone that is serious about exercise probably has one form of exercise that they really like and then they cross train for overall health, fitness and well being.  For me, I really like weight lifting.  I invest most of my exercise budget (time and money) in weight training (buying gear, hiring a trainer, investing the time working out).  I run because I think it's good for me and ultimately it will improve my strength training.

Other people like to run, swim, row, ski, hike, walk, cycle, etc.  That's where they will invest the bulk of their time and money, and they'll strength train because it's good for them.

This makes sense to me.  Find an exercise that you love and invest heavily in it.  Then cross train for overall well being.  I like this idea.

OK - I must go.  Time's a-wasting.

1 comment:

  1. The run/walk is the way to prevent injury. Keep that up.
    About cross training, I don't know if weight training is cross training. It is more like required training for everything else. You will need a moderate to hard aerobic option to add to running, which is hard without a gym. I bike and swim in the summer, stationary bike, swim, machines in the winter. Because of all the texting drivers, I mostly bike on paved trails in the summer and I can get a decent burn doing that.

    ReplyDelete