Wednesday, September 7, 2016

9/7/2016: Getting Back in the Groove

Weight:  158.0
Exercise:  Yesterday - Legs and Shoulders
Exercise:  Today - Run:  Week 4, Run 2, Base:  3.2 miles, 43.35 minutes. 13:30 average speed

Here is yesterday's workout:

I won't use the blue pencil next time, it's hard to read.  I have started doing grip exercises because I am having some pain in my inside left elbow.  It is particularly painful when I do a dumbbell curl, but it does not hurt when I do a hammer curl.  My trainer said that indicates that my grip is weak in my left hand so my arm is compensating for the weak grip, putting too much tension on the tendon.  We are avoiding all exercises that hurt until it heals and we are working on improving grip strength.  I had a similar problem about a year ago.  I should have kept up with the grip strengthening exercises, but I completely forgot about it until it started hurting again.

The running is going fine.  It's helping me a lot not to pressure myself to run further and faster.  I'm not dreading the runs nearly as much as I was.  I try to focus on form for parts of my run and that seems to be helping, too.  I feel pretty good about how the running is progressing.

Of course I ate too much while we were on our little vacation.  I got back on program first thing yesterday morning, though.  Whatever.  I am sure I'll be fighting this 8-10 pounds for the rest of my life.  While I can allow myself to get frustrated about it, it's really not that bad.  I'd rather have to lose 8 pounds 200 more times in my life than ever have to lose 100 pounds again.  I'm going to keep fighting the good fight.  Who knows?  Maybe someday my body will be content at 150.  I kind of doubt it, but you never know.  It seems odd to me that it wants to gain weight.  I am happier at 150-151, I feel better, I'm healthier, and yet, I start eating too much and I start gaining weight.  It makes no sense.  Why wouldn't the natural tendency be to stay at a healthy weight?  I know the theories about evolution and food scarcity and set points.  Sometimes I just want it to be easier.  Oh well.  It is what it is and it's worth the hard work and discipline.

Discipline is key.  When I am in my super-disciplined mode, it's easy to stay on track.  The second I stop being super-disciplined, it all starts to slide.  I can't seem to be relaxed about my diet and not start gaining weight.  I guess that's the part that I find frustrating.  I don't know why exactly.  There is nothing wrong about being disciplined, except that sometimes I don't want to be. Such is life.

It's time to get my day started.  Have a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. You are describing the basic human condition. Immediate pleasure trumps long term (or even medium and short term) contentment. We do what feels good now, knowing that it will make us feel worse later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, that just seems stupid. I'm not calling myself or you stupid, is just that the basic human condition seems stupid. It would make so much more sense if what felt good now was good for us in the long run. Wouldn't it? I know the path I want to be on and even if I veer off from time to time, I'll keep getting back on course. It's a life-time thing. I'm in it for the long-haul. There is no doubt about that!!!

      Delete