Friday, November 23, 2012

11/23/12: The Day After...

Morning Weight:  161.0 - 1.6 pound reminder of Thanksgiving dinner...sadness...
Yesterday morning's weight:  159.4
Today's Exercise: Strength training and 32 minutes of cardio (to make up for yesterday).  Cardio was 10 hard minutes on stationary bike, level 11; 12 minutes on treadmill at 5mph for 1 minutes, 6mph for 5 minutes, 7 mph for 1 minute, walk slowly for 1 minute to see how much my heart rate would go down in 60 seconds, 7mph for 1 minute, 5mph for 1 minute, 3.5mph for 1 minute, slow walk for 1 minute; 10 minutes on elliptical, level 8.
Heart rate recovery:  After running at 7mph for 1 minute my heart rate was 162.  After 1 minue of walking slowly it decreased to 124.  Pretty good recovery rate!!
Yesterday's Exercise:  None - unless you count the day in the kitchen cooking a Thanksgiving feast
Yesterday's Calories: 684 plus Thanksgiving dinner (and tasting gravy, soup, etc... as I was cooking)
Vitamins:  1-A-Day, D, B-Complex, Calcium, Glucosamine

Ok, I didn't do so great yesterday.  I did OK throughout the day, not snacking and only tasting what I was cooking for flavor, but when I sat down to dinner with Jack, Alix and Nicholas and looked at all that delicious food in front of me, I filled up my plate.  I didn't eat a ton of food, but I ate too much.  Dinner was smoked turkey (cooked to perfection on the Weber by Jack), mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, thyme roasted beets, cranberry sauce, steamed broccoli, soup (lentil, sweet potato, apple - very good), and homebaked rolls.  Dessert was sweet potato cheese cake - too good.  I ate a helping of everything, and had seconds on the beets.  My first piece of cheesecake was small.  That was going to be my token gesture to my diet, a small piece of cheesecake.  But it was too good, and I had a second small piece, and really enjoyed it.  Nicholas and Alix brought a bottle of wine and I had a glass.  I paid the price...I was over 160lbs this morning.

But I isolated the over-eating to the actual event of Thanksgiving dinner.  That is something I have been very successful at since starting my program in February, isolating the over-eating to a very small window of time rather than allowing myself to over-eat for a day, or a weekend, or a longer period of time.  The meal happened, the meal is over, and I was back on track this morning.  No regrets, I guess.  I am a little disappointed in myself, but it would have been pretty difficult to spend most of the day cooking and not indulge a bit in the results of my efforts.  Jack has a lot of leftovers, which was part of the plan.  I'll help eat the leftover soup and turkey.  The mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing are his, though!  The beets are gone.  They were the last ones from my garden and were totally yummy!  Whatever cheesecake is left on Monday will go to work with me.  I am not going to eat anymore of that, even though it was delicious.

One holiday down with minimal damage.  I hope to be no more than 159.0 by Monday morning when I mark my chart.



No comments:

Post a Comment