Thursday, September 19, 2013

9/19/2013: Another Mentee, I hope I Can Help!

Yesterday I was surprised to find out that I have another mentee that is seeking help to reach his fitness and weight loss goals.  He is a banker that I have been keeping in touch with and we had lunch together on Tuesday just to touch base.  He asked me about my triathlon and I told him about my experience and I also told him about my 2014 and lifetime goals.  He was impressed with all three; 1st, that I finished my first triathlon within regulation time; 2nd, that I am planning to do it again and improve my time by 27 minutes; and 3rd, that I have decided to become a competitive triathlete and have a lifetime goal of winning my age group.  We talked a lot about my journey over the last 18 months and I showed him my start photo.  He was even more impressed.

He started to tell me about how he used to workout a lot and really enjoyed it and how he wanted to lose 20 or so pounds and we talked about strategies to make that happen.  I told him that it was my goal to lose 16 pounds by the end of the year.  He made a bet with me that he could lose 17 in the same time frame.  What the heck?  I'll take him on.  First, I know I will lose my 16, but if he loses a pound more than me and wins the bet, then that is a win-win.  During our lunch, I thought it was all in fun, but Wednesday morning John called me up and told me his start weight (204, he's just shy of 6 feet tall) and he wanted to know how often he could call me and tell me his weight.  He is going to make a chart, we talked about exercise, and I recommended that he read, "Younger Next Year."  He's going to mark his chart twice a week and he is going to call and check in with me once a week.  Later in the day he emailed me to tell me what he had for lunch!!  I am excited that I have inspired another person to achieve fitness!!  Other than my own good health and well being, inspiring others is one of the greatest rewards that I get out of this journey.

This morning I am headed to work early to prepare for a 9:00am meeting.  I will run tonight.

Yesterday's calories:  1,825
Yesterday's protein:  98 grams
This morning's weight:  155.2

For about a week now I have felt much more in control of my eating.  As I told Jack Tuesday evening, I am not eating any "unprescribed" foods.  I know the exercise is paying off because I am starting to feel more toned, again.  It feels great to be back in the groove.

   

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the three of us can have a coffee!!! :) You are SUCH an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Let's give John a week or two and then get together!! I'll suggest it to him.

      Delete