Thursday, December 31, 2015

12/31/15: Grateful for everyone's support

I agonized over the decision regarding whether or not to get a tummy tuck for years.  I hated my stomach, but I kept telling myself that elective surgeries were an unreasonable risk.  Also, I had a hard time justifying the expense of the surgery.  I wondered if vanity was driving my desire for a flat stomach.  The real problem was, no matter how thin I got or how much I exercised or how good I felt about my physical fitness, I looked in the mirror and all I saw was that flabby stomach hanging over my C-section scar.  It drove me nuts.

I didn't seriously consider getting a breast lift until I started researching tummy tucks on-line.  That is when I discovered there was a procedure that was called a mommy makeover.  The mommy makeover is a combination breast lift (often it includes a breast augmentation, but not in my case) and tummy tuck and often includes liposuction, here and there.  When I learned of the mommy makeover, I really started dreaming about having this procedure done.  I could fix my stomach and my breasts?  How exciting would that be?

So I started to do a lot more research.  I talked to Jack about it seriously.  I wanted to know how he really felt about me taking the risk, as well as spending the money.  All in, this procedure cost a little over $16,000.  That is a lot of money.  Jack said he wanted me to do what I thought was right for me.  He didn't want me to have the surgery because it made him nervous, but he wanted me to be happy with my body.  He knows how hard I have worked to lose weight and be fit and he knew how much I was tormented by the loose skin and sagging breasts.  He supported my decision 100%.

At first, I didn't think I was going to tell the world about this.  I thought this was a private decision and I didn't want to be judged for my decision.  I guess I felt a little selfish and that bothered me.  I told my family first, first my siblings and then my dad.  I was surprised by how supportive they were.  They all thought I "deserved" this.  They were glad that I was doing this for myself.  Then, slowly, I began telling friends and people at work.  Everyone was so supportive.  I began telling people simply because I couldn't figure out any other reason why I would miss 3 weeks of work.  I could say that I was having some other type of surgery, but I didn't want to lie and I certainly didn't want people to think I was sick when I wasn't.  So I said to myself, "What the hell, if you are going to do something, you might as well own up to it."  So I started being very open about the fact that I was having the surgery done.  I expected some backlash or some negative feedback from some people.  In following other women's stories I came across several women that experienced negative comments from friends and co-workers.   That never happened to me.  Everyone I told had a similar response, they congratulated me and said, "Good for you!"

I would have done this surgery even if there had been naysayers, but the fact that everyone has been so supportive has made this so much easier.  As I have healed and recouped I've received numerous calls of support and encouragement.  My family and friends have been incredibly supportive.  It makes me feel so good to have have this support.  It makes me realize that the people that really know me know exactly how hard I have worked over the years to get healthy and fit.  They also understand how frustrating it has been to work so hard and not be able to see the real results.

So, to everyone out there, thank you for your support.  It has made a real difference.  I have never felt so accepted and so loved for who I am.  I know I didn't have to do this.  It was a choice.  You have not condemned me for making a selfish, vain decision.  You've congratulated me for working hard and getting to a point where this surgery was the last step in a major transformation of my body and health.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment