Saturday, June 24, 2017

6/24/17: Woo Hoo, I Did It!

What a day!  It started at 6AM with breakfast prep and finally ended at 11PM with me on my feet all day!  Our chef was off last night and will be off again tonight, so I covered for him and cooked dinner last night.  Of course, last night was our busiest night in weeks!  Now we have to do a lot of prep today because we went through a lot of food last night, and I have to cook dinner again tonight.  I won't be up as late tonight because Carla and I agreed that I'd close Friday night and she'd close Saturday night.  I am hoping to be out of the kitchen by 8:30 or 9:00 tonight.

Cooking dinner was a challenge.  It was something I have not done before. Rene spent a little time together Thursday and I got instructions on how long everything cooked, at what temp, etc..  All of the recipes, except the crab cakes, were mine, so that made it a little easier, but I have never finished everything off on the line before.  I proved last night that I can do it, but I also proved that I don't want to do it.  It's just too much to do both breakfast and dinner and all of the prep in between. I know some innkeepers do it, but I think they are just nuts.

The good news, the really, really good news, is that I stayed on program yesterday!!  It was not easy, I almost slipped a couple of times.  The most treacherous moment was when I was plating up a strawberry rhubarb pie ala mode.  I reached into the pie plate to grab a small chunk of the filling that had fallen in the pie, without even thinking about it.  That chunk of pie was halfway to my mouth before I realized I couldn't eat it.  For about 5 minutes I struggled, the ice cream looked so coo; and delicious, the brownies were sitting right there, begging to be eaten.  I won the battle, though!  I said, "No!" to pie, I said, "No!" to ice cream, and I said, "No!" to brownies.  It is starting to get a little easier.  I feel so much more confident now that I have made it through the first two days of the weekend without any sugar or wheat (or alcohol - no alcohol is a given, by the way, when I am sugar free, as sugar and alcohol are basically the same, except alcohol makes you tipsy).  I didn't have bad cravings yesterday; there were temptations right in front of my face, but there were not any serious cravings.

I didn't do any exercise in addition to the 17 hours on my feet yesterday.  There just wasn't time.  We'll see if I can squeeze in a little exercise today.

That's all I have time for.  No real insights, I know, just a touch base, today.  I didn't get my full eight hours of sleep and I need to get in the shower and do it again.  Here is to day six and finishing the weekend at 100%

Talk to you tomorrow.  Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment