Tuesday, June 6, 2017

6/6/17: Two Nights in a Row, 8+ Hours of Sleep!!

Last night I got 8 hours and 15 minutes of sleep and the night before that I got 8 hours and 43 minutes of sleep!!  Yeah!!  That is the first time in 6 months that I got at least 8 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row.  We had a late check-in last night, so I did not get to sleep until almost 11PM, but it is my day off today so I forced myself to stay in bed until 8.  I woke up around 6AM, it really is hard to sleep past 6, but I forced myself to stay in bed and I fell back asleep until about 8:15.  I felt a little groggy when I first got out of bed, buy I am waking up now and starting to feel better.  I should be able to get 8 hours of sleep tonight, tomorrow night, and Thursday night as well.  That will be 5 nights in a row of 8 hours or more of sleep.  My plan is that this consistent sleep will allow my body to recuperate from the stress and the beating that it has been taking.  I will not be able to get 8 hours of sleep Friday or Saturday night because of the Murder Mystery weekend, but I should be able to get back to 8 hours of sleep on Sunday night.  I am making sleep a priority.

I made it through the day yesterday with no sugar and no flour.  I ate very little dairy (Whole 30 is no dairy), but I did have a left-over twice baked potato with my lunch (contains butter and sour cream).  I was surprised that it made me hungrier.  I eat breakfast potatoes, fried in clarified butter, in the mornings, and they don't trigger cravings.  I don't think it was the dairy though, I think it was just too much potato.  I've should have just had half of a half, if I had any.  Mostly my meals, aside from breakfast, consist of left-over food from the weekend dinner service.  This is fine, as I have incorporated plenty of whole 30 foods into the menu, but what we don't have a lot of leftover is veggies.  I need to buy veggies to cook up just for me to eat with each meal. 

Today is my day off.  I plan to clean my room, ship a bunch of (little) shoes back to Zappos and Amazon, finish up our personal finances and go for a walk (probably in the rain).  I have had breakfast already, Whole 30, all the way.  Starting strong.

I work out with Alexis tomorrow.  This will be the first time in a while that I can report back that I am starting to make progress on food and sleep.

Breakfast this morning was an omelet, a few breakfast potatoes and some fruit.  I'll work on getting some veggies in there.

As most of you know, the reason Carla and I are in New Hampshire running and inn is to get experience and to decide if we want an inn or our own, and if we want an inn, what kind of an inn do we want.

Jack, Carla and I took an innkeeping seminar about a year ago.  In that seminar they pushed the participants towards considering inns with 10 or more rooms, since those inns actually generate a reasonable amount of net profits and positive cash flow.  Being a finance person, that concept was appealing to me, yet Carla said, "Mom, that's crazy, an inn that size is too big and too much work.  That is not what we want.  I don't think we should look at anything bigger than 8 rooms."  Also, dinner service can be quite profitable.  Again, Carla said I was crazy to even think about it.  Talk about role reversal.  I remember, quite clearly, when Carla was younger and I told her things I knew to be true because of my own experiences (and mistakes), with the hopes that she would not have to repeat those mistakes.  But, of course, she had to learn through her own experiences, as all children do.  She, by no means, was unique in that way.  We've all done it.  Well, it turns out that we older folks have to do it, too.  After 6 months of us working in a 12 room inn with dinner service 3 nights a week I now know that I want a smaller inn and that I don't want to do dinner service.  The revised plan seems to be homing in on something much more similar to Carla's original vision than mine.  This makes sense, as she was the one that came into this experiment with actual hospitality experience.

I am going to start playing around with the idea of an inn with 5 to 8 rooms (max) with some outdoor space for cute cabins/campsites/glamping sites, etc.  I definitely want the property to be welcoming to children.  Perhaps the main house will be for adults and older (teenagers, at least) kids, and we will have a cabin or two geared towards families.  Carla really wants a water element on or near the property. We want an out-building of some sort for Carla's living quarters/art studio.  We want a beautiful view.  We want an outdoor/country vibe with a little land and some woods, but we want to be close enough to a community or village to feel like we are part of a real community.  I like the small-town vibe here in Glen, NH.  I'd like to have that some small-town feel wherever we end up.  I am somewhat drawn to the motor lodges for some reason.  Maybe because the make me feel nostalgic.  But a super cute and well maintained motor lodge that backs up to a river or lake could be very cool.  Something with a playground for the kids.  If that is what we get, I'd like to add or convert a space for a kitchen/dining room/common space so that we can do breakfast and encourage the community feel of a B&B.  There is a lot to think about!!

For now, I get a day to rest a little and get my personal affairs in order.  My room is a mess (it will take 10 minutes to clean, it is so tiny) and I have to make it to the post office.  I need to go for a walk. 

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment