Sunday, June 25, 2017

6/25/17 @ 3PM: The Weekend is Finally Over!

Around here, the weekend starts on Thursday morning because that is when we start prepping for our Thursday, Friday, and Saturday dinner service.  The weekend ends on Sunday afternoon, after the last check-out and after all the breakfast clean-up is done.  On Thursday, prepping for dinner is an all day affair, because everything on the menu is cooked from scratch by me and Carla.  Lasagna with homemade Italian tomato sauce, Lazy Sunday Pot Roast, chimichurri chicken and steak kabobs, chipotle black bean burgers, rhubarb pie, and more are on the menu.  Carla usually does our big grocery shopping trip on Wednesday, then we get up Thursday morning and cook breakfast for our guests.  As we are cooking breakfast we get the pot roast going, then after breakfast we continue cooking until about 4 in the afternoon.  At four we start checking in guests and one of us preps the pantry station (salads, cold entrees, and desserts) for dinner service.  We have worked out a schedule that allows one of us to be off at 6PM each night.  On some weekends I work late backing up the chef, ringing up tickets, and checking in guests on Thursday and Saturday (Carla covers Friday), and other weeks it's reversed.  The person who stays up late on a dinner service night doesn't usually call it a night until 10:30 or so.

This week was an exception because our chef, Rene, couldn't work on Friday and Saturday nights.  He's the head chef at a local resort that only serves breakfast, but they had a special function this weekend and required him to work.  Has it happens, the back-up chef is me.  So after a brief training session Thursday evening, I cooked dinner for our guests Friday and Saturday evening and Carla had to work the pantry station both nights.  It made for a much longer and busier weekend than normal.  Saturday night we had a full house, so we served 26 guests breakfast this morning.  By the time we got all the breakfasts served, the kitchen and dining room cleaned up, and all the leftover food either cooked off for our dinners this week or frozen (and then all of those dishes washed), it was 3:00.

We have only three rooms sold tonight with 2 of those being stay-overs and one being a check-in; so this afternoon will be pretty mellow.  Sunday afternoons usually are fairly relaxed as we decompress from the weekend.

With only 5 1/2 hours of sleep last night I am finding that I have more food cravings today.  The muffins and the biscuits were mighty tempting as I was starting my prep work for breakfast.  Carla cooked me a delicious omelet at about 7:15 and I ate that with some home fries, which helped a lot.  I didn't eat my next meal until about 2:00 because we were so busy cleaning up and getting organized after the hectic weekend. 

I am absolutely thrilled that I stayed on program all weekend!!  I am a bit sleep deprived so my cravings are a bit more intense today, but I am feeling strong and know that I will make it through the day without going off program.  The really exciting news is that I was able to go one hole smaller on my belt this morning.  Progress!!

Have a great day, everyone!  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment