Friday, June 9, 2017

6/9/2017: First Short Term Goal Accomplished

I set a short term goal of getting 5 nights in a row of decent amounts of sleep, and I accomplished that goal.  Last night it was lights out and eyes shut for 8 hours and 21 minutes and I was asleep for 7 hours and 29 minutes.  It has been very helpful to track my sleep with my Fitbit.  For the last five nights, I was in bed with no distractions for over eight hours every night and I was asleep for over 7, and for two of those days I was asleep for over 8 hours.  This is remarkable, considering how little sleep I have been getting since I started my current gig as an innkeeper on December 19th of last year.

As I have mentioned before in recent blog posts, my lack of sleep has contributed to many things, including significant weight gain and my body not being able to heal from the more strenuous lifestyle of innkeeping.  I feel like the recovery has begun, yet I am still incredibly uncomfortable because of the weight I have gained.  In the last 4 days I have made much better food choices, avoiding all wheat, sugar and alcohol.  I've focused on having some high quality protein with every meal and eating a lot of fruit and vegetables.  I have not been overeating for the fast few days.  I managed to go sugar free for about a week about a month ago, but I was overeating in compensation.  I think the big difference between then and now is the sleep.  A month ago I wasn't getting enough sleep, so I couldn't stop eating during the day, even if I wasn't eating that addictive poison call sugar.  With the sleep, I am finding it much easier to only eat because I am hungry.  I'm not eating large portions and I am not eating all day long.

So, here I am, starting the ball rolling in the right direction again.  If I compare my lifestyle to about two months ago I can see significant improvements.  I'm getting much more sleep, I am no longer overeating, I am not eating sugar or wheat, I am not drinking booze, and I am getting a lot more exercise.  That's the broad scope of things.  Now I need to laser in on what I know will make me feel better very quickly, losing weight.

When Alexis and I started working together our one hour a week focused on strength training.  We have recently shifted our workouts to uphill hikes.  The hikes have been more effective in cementing me into healthy routines because we are using the time to talk through making the major changes I need to make to be healthy.  Also, the hikes are tough.  She reminds me of Ryan when he, Carla and I were training for our big bike ride.  He knew where every hill in Missouri and Kansas was and we went up every single one of them.  Alexis knows all of the hikes that go up the mountains and our hikes go right up them.  She is also training me to climb uphill properly, so that I get a good workout and I strengthen my legs properly.  When we spend an hour climbing uphill together (well, 40 minutes, because we need time to get down, too) it is strenuous exercise, but it is also therapy.  Our conversations really do help me focus on what I need to do to get back into the body I know I belong in. I also enjoy getting outdoors for a little while, particularly on these beautiful spring days.

I need to focus on my health.  Carla and I are good innkeepers, now I need to become a good body keeper, too.  I will be happy when my clothes start to get loose, again. 

Wish me luck, my friends.  Your support gives me strength.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect. On the path. I am glad you turned this around in less than a year! Hiking is great exercise for us now that we are in our late-youth.

    ReplyDelete