Wednesday, June 7, 2017

6/7/17: What am I Leaving Out?

A friend texted me yesterday after reading my blog posts, wondering what I was leaving out.  She was concerned that something was wrong that I was not discussing in my blog and she wanted to make sure I was OK.  First of all, I appreciate her concern.  Second, I am fine.  But I it appears that I did neglect to mention that I have been in some fairly significant physical pain.  My body hurts, particularly in the mornings and late in the evenings, and it hurts a lot.  My feet and my legs hurt the most, and there is a little shoulder pain.  I know what is causing the pain:  I am still adjusting to being on my feet 12+ hours a day, I have been eating crap food which causes systemic inflammation throughout my body, and I have not been getting enough sleep.  There is nothing I can do about the 12+ hours on my feet.  This is a standing and walking job.  I am OK with that, eventually my body will adapt and I will be healthier for it, as long as I take care of myself.  I am working on the sleep and the food.

Last night I got 7 hours and 20 minutes of sleep, which isn't bad considering the fact that I got up at 5:30 to make breakfast.  I was in bed with the lights off and my eyes closed for 8 hours and 24 minutes, but 1 hour and 4 minutes of that time I was awake (according to my fitbit).  That is three nights in a row with enough sleep and I am starting to feel more rested, happier, and I am experiencing a little less pain.

I have not had any sugar, flour or alcohol for 2 days.  I am very happy about that.  I feel much better.  The tummy bloating is gone, the puffiness is starting to leave my fingers, and my knees don't hurt as much. 

I need to lose quite a bit of weight.  That will help, too.  That is the other reason I hurt and probably the top reason for my overall discomfort, I am overweight.  Again.  But I am taking care of that.

So, the blog, what's up with the blog?  Why does it work?  It's not accountability, not really.  I don't sit here and tell you everything I eat.  It's really about FOCUS.  When I take the time to blog every day, it forces me to think about yesterday, what went right and what went wrong, and how do I feel today, as a result of that.  Blogging makes me consider the immediate ramifications of my actions.  It helps me stay on track because it forces me to focus on my choices and the results of those choices.

Yesterday was my day off and I got a haircut, a pedicure, and a manicure.  That makes me feel MUCH better.  I also bought a couple of cute summer tops.  That was fun, too.  While I was out I had lunch, it was a nice springy spinach salad with strawberries and almonds.  That was a much healthier choice than the last time I went to the same restaurant.

So, I'm doing better.  I should be able to get 8 hours of sleep tonight, or close to it.  I meet with my trainer, Alexis, today.  I'll be busy with grocery shopping, menu planning, and prep for our Murder Mystery weekend.  We have two couples for breakfast this morning (I've already fed one of them), one check-out, and no check-ins.  If the phone doesn't ring too much I should have a very productive day!!

Jackie got concerned when I used the words "Lifestyle Inn" to describe where my thoughts might be heading with regard to our own inn.  Those words imply that the Inn may not make money.  I assured him that the business plan we develop will include the Inn supporting itself, so that revenue will cover the mortgage payments, insurance, taxes, repair and maintenance expenses, food, advertising expenses, etc.  What it probably will not do is spin off a lot of cash flow in addition to these things.  We would have to rely on Jackie's military pension and Social Security for any monthly expenses that don't have anything to do with our immediate living expenses, such as vacations, entertainment, etc.  There is a lot of research and number crunching to do, but I feel like we may be headed in that direction, in order to get the balance we are looking for.  Of course, we will have income from our retirement savings, as well. I believe we can strike the right balance.  Again, it all hinges on finding the right property.  It is out there somewhere.

Have a great day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think a lifestyle in might make more $$ than a regular inn. You can advertise on all of the health-related, hiking, biking, pickleball sites and attract a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete