Sunday, March 11, 2012

3/4/2012: Week One and a Little More Back Story

Week one was a success!! By the end of the week I was right on my goal line, in spite of starting 2 pounds above it on Day One. This photograph was taken on a hike on Sunday, March 4th. One of the activities that Jack and I enjoy is hiking on the numerous trails in the Kansas City Region. We have a wonderful book that lists all of the trails within 50 miles or so of the city. Each time we go on a hike we try a different trail. It has been a great way to enjoy some of the scenery our region has to offer. If you ever want to join us, let us know. It is a wonderful way to spend a morning or afternoon on a pretty day.

Now, back to why I started this blog; which is to help me accomplish my weight loss goals. In more ways than I can count, I have been extraordinarily blessed with a strong and healthy body. In spite of the extra weight I have carried, on and off through most of my life, I don't have back pain, joint pain, any sign of cardio-vascular disease, or any of the multitude of weight related illnesses or injuries that can so easily occur. That does not mean I am taking my health for granted. So far, I am considering myself both blessed and lucky. But I know as I age my strength and my luck are not going to hold out, unless I take the initiative and start to lose this weight, for good.

For many, many years I have understood the importance of healthy eating and exercising. My meals, for the most part, are well balanced, freshly prepared, and reasonably proportioned. I enjoy healthy vegan and vegetarian dishes, eat a little poultry and no beef or pork. My biggest problem is sweets and snacking. I tend to eat to lift my mood and sometimes it seems that the only thing that will do the trick is a Milky Way or Hershey Bar. If I can cut out the sweets and snacking, my diet will be healthy and the only thing I will need to worry about is quantity. Fresh fruits and veggies are already a significant part of my diet.

When it comes to exercise, it's always been sporadic. I start exercise routines and start feeling better, only to let them fizzle out when "real life" gets in the way. It's time for me to realize that there will not be much of a "real life" left if I don't exercise at least an hour a day, six days a week.

During the first week I did manage to exercise 6 times. Three days of cardio and three days of strength training. The cardio consisted of exercise bikes, elipitical machines, treadmills, and stair climbers for a total of 60 minutes. I did my strength training with a personal trainer. After the third visit with the trainer, I decided to purchase ten more sessions. I meet with him once a week, on Thursdays, and he puts together my strength training routine for the week. That way every time I sign up for ten more sessions, I am signing up for 15 pounds. Somehow, that makes it all seem more manageable.

I love the outdoors. I want to spend the second half of my life playing outside; hiking, biking, camping, backpacking, canoeing, etc..., and I want my body to ready for whatever adventure comes my way. When I'm 75, I want to be hiking the Appalchian Trail, carrying my own gear. There is only one way that is going to happen and that is for me to take care of this issue, once and for all, starting right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment