Sunday, January 10, 2016

1/10/2016: A Day of Rest, What a Difference it Makes

I feel much better today, after a day of rest.  For the record, it is possible to spend most of the day in one's recliner!

I actually sat through an entire football game.  I watched the Chiefs get their first playoff win in 23 years.  It was kind of fun.  Jackie loves watching football and I was stuck in my chair, anyway, so I decided I might as well watch the game with him.  The worst part of the entire experience is that I wanted to eat popcorn and drink beer.  There seems to be something about watching football that induces one to eat.  I did eat some popcorn, (I popped it in my Whirlypop.  It was not microwave popcorn.), but I did not drink any beer.  After the popcorn was gone I had cravings for chocolate and wine.  I ate a healthy dinner, instead.  After an early dinner, I felt too full, so the cravings stopped.  That was the first time I have felt full in a long time and it was a decidedly unpleasant experience.  Most of the time I eat just enough.  Yesterday's dinner was not large and it was mostly veggies, per normal procedure, but on top of the popcorn it made my tummy feel really full.  I won't be over eating again any time soon.

In spite of feeling a little too full yesterday, my choices were healthy-ish (the -ish is because of the popcorn, everything else I ate yesterday was right on program) and I dropped another pound.  This morning I weighed 153.6.  I'll reiterate that I am not under-eating and I am not trying to lose weight/fat.  I am trying to eat foods that are not inflammatory in nature to help reduce the post-op surgery.  My best guess is that I'll be right around 150 when all the swelling is gone.  I am sure the day of rest, yesterday, contributed to the reduction in swelling.

Once my recovery is complete, I look forward to exercise.  I like 150 pounds for my weight, but I am not happy with the condition of my arms, back, abs, butt and legs after this period of inactivity.  Everything is jiggling more than it used to.  That said, I know once I start exercising again, I will start firming up, again.  I am looking forward to that!!!!!!!!

Jack and I did make it to Macy's yesterday and I bought a new garment.  It seems to be more supportive than the spanx I purchased earlier and more comfortable than my surgeon issued compression garment.  I am going to give it a whirl tomorrow.  I'll bring my other garments to work in case I have to change into them mid-day.

I did a little on-line research on scar therapy.  Most of the plastic surgeons say the same thing - use silicone, and most say that the best product to use is the scar away sheets.  That is exactly what I am doing, so I feel confident that I am doing the right thing, there.  There is no visible scarring around my areolas and when I used the scar away around them, the skin puckered a little bit, so I no longer have the scar away tape on my areolas, but I am using it everywhere else.  I am doing massage therapy on all of my scars, as well.  I will call the surgeon's nurse on Monday and ask her about using the scar away on the areola incisions.  All in all, after 5 days of treatment with Scar Away, all of my scars are flatter and narrower.  Yeah!

I just looked at the photos I took of myself 3 days post op, compared to today.  Wow, what a difference.  There was so much swelling, particularly in my tummy.  Everyday is better than the last.

That's it for today's progress report.  Yep, it's boring.  The word "boring" pretty much sums up recovery from surgery.  Boring and uncomfortable.  But when it comes to surgery recovery, boring is good.  If it were exciting, that would mean trouble, and we don't need trouble.

Until tomorrow...

Have a beautiful day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment