Wednesday, January 13, 2016

1/13/2016: Recovery...

Day-in and day-out, it is all about the recovery.  There is nothing to do, really, other than get through each day, rest when I am tired, do my recommended scar therapy, eat healthy food, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep.  I work and I rest.  That's my life right now.  There is not a whole lot to write about.

I have a little spot under my right breast, where the horizontal incision and the vertical incision intersect, that is slightly open and oozing just a little bit.  I thought I saw something yesterday and I treated the spot with neosporine and covered it with a bandaid.  When I took the bandaid off this morning it definitely had a pink tinge to it.  So, after an arduous search of both bathrooms, I found the old makeup mirror that I knew was stashed somewhere so I could take a closer look.  Sure enough, there is a little raw spot under my right breast.  I treated it again this morning and put another bandaid over it.  I will call the doctor's office this morning to let them know about it.  I am pretty confident that they will recommend exactly the treatment that I have already started.  I did not put any new scar away strips on today.  They started itching a bit yesterday and the instructions recommend taking a break from them if you notice any irritation and restarting them after a day or two.  So far, the scars look pretty dang good.  For the most part they are quite thin and they are fading.  The worst spots are the ends of each incision, but even those spots are getting better with time.

I can work an eight hour day, now, without completely wiping myself out.  I can't work more than that, and I won't work more than that for several weeks, in spite of this being my busiest time of year.  I need to pace myself and focus on recovering while I maintain a reasonable amount of control over my work life.  It's going to be a challenging couple of months.

I bought a new, more aggressive, spanx over the weekend and wore it to work the last two days.  Yesterday I waited until right before I left for work to change into it.  That strategy worked.  I did not need to put my binder on until I got home.  The spanx is more comfortable than the binder or the girdle garment from the surgeon and provides enough support to keep me comfortable and to keep my tummy from swelling too much during the day.  It also fits OK under my clothes.  I think this will be a reasonably comfortable mid-term solution for compression while I continue to heal.  I change into my compression garment for the evening and into my girdle garment when I sleep and in the morning before work.  It actually helps a lot to change garments three times a day.  They are all uncomfortable in different ways, so when I really get tired of one and change into another it is kind of a relief.

I do need a different bra, though.  The ones I bought are OK, but I don't feel like they fit quite right.  I will try to get to Victoria's Secret this weekend for a fitting to see what they would recommend.  My breasts are a completely different shape than they were before and I really have no idea which bra would be best for me.  I am sure there will be some trial and error as I get this figured out.

So, yes, life is a bit boring these days.  It's all about undergarments, getting enough rest, and trying to get enough work done that I am reasonably on top of things.  Fun times!!

Have a beautiful day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment