Tuesday, January 5, 2016

1/5/16: Three Weeks Post-Op

I started a New Year's Day post several days ago, on New Year's Day, to be precise.  I still don't have it done.  I will try to finish it tonight.

In the meantime, I went back to work yesterday and I had my three week post-op checkup.  The results?  All systems normal.

It is as exciting and as boring as all that.  Normal.  I am healing per plan and there are no abnormalities to be concerned about.

Notes from the meeting with the doctor:

  • Expect swelling to last at least three months. 
    • When I raise my arms over my head there is a slight indentation at the vertical scars under my breasts - this is due to swelling and will go away.  Also, the scars will soften with massage and time.
    • There is a "transition area" at the scar on my belly.  Below the incision is skin on pelvic bone, above the scar is belly, so there is a slight bulge right above the scar.  There will always be a "transition area" but the bulge will get smaller when the swelling is gone.  Compared to the hanging skin that was there, this is nothing.
    • Leggings, socks, garments, and anything that presses against me leaves indentations in my skin.  This is a sign of swelling.  I really am ready for the swelling to be done, but there is nothing to do but wait.
  • Start scar therapy
    • Massage all scars with lotion and a decent amount of pressure every day.  Concentrate on the ends of the incisions, where skin was gathered a little bit.  Daily massage will make a huge difference in overall appearance and feel of scars in the long run.
    • Use Scar Away on all scars every day.  Scar Away is an adhesive patch that contains silicone that sticks to the scars.  Keep on scars at least 12 hours a day every day.
  • Keep wearing compression garments
    • I have three garments now:  A compression girdle that goes from rib cage to knees, a compression garment just for my abdomen, and a spanx girdle.  Most of the time I will wear the compression girdle.  For a few hours a day, in the evening I will wear the abdominal garment to put more pressure on the belly scar, and when I want to dress up a little, I can wear the spanx.  He said to use my best judgment.
    • I will be glad when I don't have to wear garments anymore.
    • My new bras were approved by the doctor (That was good news!).  No underwires allowed for now (not that I need them anymore!).
  • I should be able to start exercising in 3 more weeks, this includes bowling.
    • I can start taking short walks now, but I need to pay attention to swelling.  The nurse suggested that I start with short walks and gradually increase the distance and speed so that by the time I am released to exercise I am ready to go.
  • I will start noticing rapid improvements in my strength and stamina. 
    • I am in the final stretch.  Every day will be better.  
Work was OK, but exhausting.  I worked until 3:00.  That was enough.  By the time I got home I was ready to flake out in my recliner for the rest of the day.  It was everything I had to get back up and get a pot roast going in the crock pot.  I asked Jack to help me, more for motivation than anything else.  We got it done.  It's in the fridge, now.

That's the news.  Now I have got to get that Scar Away figured out and get to work.

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment