Monday, July 18, 2016

7/18/2016: Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

Weight:  154.4

I was a little surprised that I gained weight on this last little vacation with my sister, Ruth, to Southern Illinois.  It was an exercise based getaway, and we didn't eat a ton of food.  On the other hand, I did eat more than I normally eat, I ate off program a bit (some breads and some dairy), and I ate later in the day than normal.  All of that adds up and the dairy makes me a bit constipated, which bloats me up.  So today, it's back to 100% on program.  I have almost two weeks before we hit the road again.  My 12 week challenge will have to end a couple of days early because we will be on the road when the 12 weeks ends.  I may not be to 150.0, exactly, before we leave for Colorado, but I am going to give it an all out effort to get there.  I expect to drop a couple of pounds rapidly, as I am sure about 2 pounds is bloat and inflammation.  It's that last two pounds that will be tough.

I handled the road-trip part of my vacation well.  I was on the road 6 1/2 hours both directions and I didn't snack while driving.  I packed a lunch for both directions and ate that at a rest stop a little over half way through the day's drive.  We stayed at a bed & breakfast (a converted school house) and I ate the breakfasts prepared by the innkeeper which included eggs, some sort of breakfast meat, fruit, and homemade toast or a piece of french toast.  We missed lunch on our 12 mile hike day but had a snack of nuts and an apple while on the hike.  On our zip line tour day, we had lunch at a taco hut. Dinner on all three nights was a substantial meal which is probably what caused the weight gain.  Dinner is usually my smallest meal of the day, but with all the physical activity we had during the day, we were pretty darn hungry by dinner time.

We had adventures, complete with mishaps.  Yes, I did hear the following on our 12 mile hike through the forest, "Bees!  Run!" and "Snake - we stepped on a snake! Run!"  We both got stung by hornets, several times, but we avoided getting bit by the copperhead we stepped on.  We escaped the bees by scrambling through the woods and wading into the creek.  Classic!  The next day we went for a bike ride on a rail-to-trail bike trail, complete with a 500 foot train tunnel.  The train tunnel turned out to be more than I bargained for.  I rode into the tunnel and it was so dark so fast that I got completely disoriented.  I crashed into the wall of the tunnel and fell off my bike as I was yelling to my sister, "I'm freaking out, I'm freaking out!"  Freaking out, indeed.

So in spite of the exposure to poison ivy (still hoping we don't develop rashes); many, many hornet stings; lots of ticks (yes, we used deet, but we washed it off when we dove into the creek to get rid of the hornets); and a huge scrape and a few bruises from the bike crash; we had a great time.  We're ready to do it again!  Well, without the mishaps, perhaps.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment