Monday, July 4, 2016

7/4/16: Happy July 4th - And Another Opportunity to Fall Off Course


Weight:  153.0

I am only one pound away from what I weighed on Thursday morning, June 23rd, before we left for San Diego.  It's been 11 days of progress, lost to a binge.  That is a sobering fact.  I will tell you this right now, it wasn't worth it.  The food I ate did not taste that good.  It brought a moment's worth of solace, I suppose, but that was small reward compared to the effort it is taking to lose the weight I gained and the emotional impact that comes from losing so much ground during my 12 Week Challenge.  This morning, I am relieved to only be a pound away from 152.0, which is what I weighed on that Thursday morning, before boarding a plane to San Diego.  Perhaps I will be back at 152.0 tomorrow morning.  It's possible.

It will not be possible to be back at 152.0 tomorrow if I go off program this afternoon.  Therefore, I am stating, emphatically and without feeling sorry for myself, that I will not go off program today, no matter what anyone else says, does, eats or drinks.  It's just not worth it!

It will be one of those challenging situations.  We will be going to a friend's for dinner, drinks, and fireworks.  We will be sitting around chit-chatting.  This is the most difficult type of event for me to get through without eating and drinking off program.  There is something about sitting around chit-chatting that is incredibly conducive to having a drink in one hand and a snack in the other.  It stresses me out just thinking about getting through the evening without drinking a glass of wine or munching on some sort of snack food.  It's one of those days that if I do manage to get through the entire day without going off program, I expect to be two pounds lighter the next morning.  I think the weight loss in the morning should be commensurate with the amount of effort it took to stay on program the day before.  It never does work that way, though.  But, if I stay on program this evening, I will be rewarded on the scale tomorrow by not having a weight gain.  That will be enough to satisfy me.  The knowledge that I stayed on program and knowing that in a situation where I could have gained a few pounds, I kept my weight stable, will be enough for me to be pleased with myself tomorrow morning.  I will accomplish this goal, today. 

I don't want you to read this and my previous posts for the last several days and think that I am beating myself up, nonstop, because of my San Diego binge.  I am not doing that.  In fact, yesterday, Jack and I had a wonderful shopping day and I bought myself several cute new tops and dresses, that I never could have worn prior to losing as much weight as I have lost.  I had a lot of fun trying on cute clothes and felt proud of my efforts.  I know I have made tremendous progress and I know I am considerably healthier than I was 4 years ago or even 2 months ago.  I know that 24 hours of crap food doesn't throw years of hard work out the window, and I don't beat myself up as if it does.  So please don't get the impression that because I talk about the ramifications of my binge in this blog that that is all I think about.  It happens to be what I think about the moment I get on the scale and still see an extra pound there.  Getting on the scale reminds me of how what I eat really does make a difference.  This blog happens to be about my weight loss/get healthy initiative.  Therefore, the binge will be on my mind and in my blog until the weight I gained from the binge is gone and I am back on new ground, according to my weight loss chart.  

Also, blogging about the binge and the impact it has had on my weight and on me emotionally helps me focus on my goals and weigh the temporary pleasure food brings me against the long-term pleasure of staying on program.  The more I write about it the more it cements in my memory the fact that the moment's solace that food brings me is inconsequential compared to the 12 or 13 days it will take to lose the weight that I gain because of the crap food.  I blog for a reason.  It is an excellent motivational tool for me.  I appreciate your patience as I get back on track and work to get the momentum going in the correct direction, again.

Before heading over to Larry and Luz's, I need to prepare some food for this evening, go for a run, cook some vegetables for the up-coming week, and I am not sure what else.  Perhaps Jack and I will get our camping inventory done.  It is less than a month before we take off for our big camping trip with the grandkids in Colorado.  We are looking forward to it!!

I'll be blogging tomorrow morning.  I hope you will check in to make sure that I stuck to program through the July 4th festivities.  I am counting on that!!

Have a great day!  Stay safe and enjoy the holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment