Sunday, July 31, 2016

7/41/16: A Post From the Road

Weight: ??

I won't be able to weigh myself until I get home, but my smallest shorts fit just fine so nothing dramatically bad has happened in my first two days on the road.

I won't be able to blog consistently this week because we are going to be busy with grandkids,  campfires, activities of all kinds, and who knows what else. I still want to blog when I catch a quiet moment here and there, though, because I appreciate everyone's support so much. I want to say thank you and tell all of you how much it means to me that you take a few minutes out of your day to read my posts.

This morning I woke up in a B&B that boasts the highest altitude of any B&B in North America. To get to this beautiful and charming in we started in Idaho Springs, CO (7,000 feet) and drive up the mountain for half an hour. We are at 10,500 feet and our room has a view of mountain tops and glaciers. I have pics, but I can't load them from my phone. I'll post a few on Instagram where my screenname is bertabetta.

Our first couple of days on the road were uneventful but fun. We tend to take the road less traveled so even though it's a straight shot from Kansas City to Idaho Springs on I-70 we decided to veer off course a bit. We followed the billboards to a charming little town in Kansas called  Wamego.  They had an adorable city park complete with a Dutch Windmill built in the 1800s, World Fair statues from the same decade, fountains that were truly art installations, and a miniature train for the kiddos. We enjoyed our stroll through history quite a lot!

We spent our first night on the road at a wide spot on the road called Colby, Kansas. They bill themselves as the Oasis on the Highway. There are several roadside motels to choose from and you can get a halfway decent breakfast at the Village Inn. We've never taken the time to drive into Colby itself, so we remedied that on Friday evening. We were hoping for another delightful surprise, but we were disappointed when we found an old downtown that was withering away. The courthouse stood alone and stark at the edge of what used to be a town. A beautiful old building oddly juxtaposed against blight and decay. There was an event going on outside of town, it looked like a mud racing event, so I suppose if we were into cars we might have paid an admission fee and checked that out, but that is not our sort of thing. Instead we retired to our room at the Holiday Inn Express and played a wild game of Parcheesi. If you've never played Parcheesi, you don't know what you're missing. It's a four person game, but Jack and I have invented a couple new rules to make it just as much fun as a two person game. Jack came from behind and won the game, darn it!

Just as we we're getting to Limon, CO, we realized we left our pillows in Colby, so our search for a Walmart to buy new pillows took us off the highway, again. We headed west on highway 86 and enjoyed the scenic route that took us south of Denver. We went through a charming little town called Elizabeth and stopped to do a little "junking."  Carla was the lucky winner of that jaunt, as the only thing we found that we couldn't live without was a Christmas present for her.

The traffic headed into the valley was terrible, as advertised, so we had a stop and go couple of hours, but finally it freed up and we headed into Idaho Springs. After a MUCH NEEDED pit stop we headed up the mountain to this lovely inn. We climbed the mountain to the end of the road and then kept going. We went through gravel lots and up dirt roads to get here. This is not a place you get to by accident, but it's worth the drive. Right now, as I write this, we're waiting for breakfast to be served.

After checking into the lodge we went back down the hill, picked up pizza for Andrew's family and spent the evening with Andrew, Rebecca and the kids. I got my ass kicked in Twister a few times. It was super hard on my quads. Those kids are flexible!  We also played a game called Headbands, a version of charades that was a lot of fun. The kids are all doing great!  They're bright, healthy, adventurous, interesting young people. We are so looking forward to our five nights camping which starts today.

As far as food goes, I packed some food which made about about 50% of my meals so far. I'm not trying to eat 100% on program, but I am keeping all portions reasonable. I want to maintain my weight on this trip, but I'm also not going to fret about it too much.

I'm going to post this and proof read it later. It's much harder to blog from my phone so excuse typos, disjointed thoughts, etc.

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment