Friday, December 28, 2012

12/28/12

Uncle Jim's wake was yesterday and the funeral and burial are later this morning. In spite of the circumstances it was good to see family. I've seen my cousins and my aunt occasionally over the last 20 years, but not often enough. That seems to be too common, doesn't it? We got to meet our 4 younger cousins again. The last time I saw them they were very little kids and now the youngest is getting ready to start high school and the other three are young adults already. How time flies by when you are not looking. We spent a lot of time with Lisa, Patty, and Jake when we were growing up so it was fun to meet their children and get to catch up on their lives. I am glad we were able to be here for them, but I know their adjustment to their new reality is just beginning. My Aunt Penny and my cousins will be in my thoughts and prayers during the months to come.

I didn't have a great food yesterday. I now know what my biggest weakness is. Good homemade cookies. I'm not talking any cookie, I am talking delectable crisp homemade cookies made with real butter and good ingredients. I forgot how well my Aunt Penny baked. I'm a baker, so whenever I see a homemade cookie I have to try it. Usually, they are just sort of OK, so I can pass on having more than a taste. Well, that was not the case with Aunt Penny's cookies. They were good! So I had 5 or 6. Unfortunately, I did not have the calorie count, so I counted them the same as my large gingerbread cookies. I was very disciplined until we got to my aunt's house after the wake. But by the time we got there it was late, I was tired and hungry, and we were just standing around, talking. I just drank water, no beer or wine, but I ate about 3 ounces of cheese, pita chips, a piece of pizza, and 5 or 6 cookies over the course of about 3 hours. There should not be a food moment like that today, thank goodness. We have had breakfast, already. Soon we will go to the funeral and then the burial. After that, my brother will take me to the airport. I should get through the day today without any incident.

I did get up this morning and run on the treadmill for an hour. 5.5 miles. So that felt good. I did not have a chance to exercise yesterday. I got up at 3:45 to go to the airport and we were not settled into our hotel rooms until after 10:00 last night. I am looking forward to having a "normal" weekend this weekend! Routine is good!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment