Monday, December 31, 2012

12/31/12: New Year's Eve

Morning Weight:  152.2
This Morning's Exercise: Strength Training Pyramid, see below
Yesterday's Exercise:  1500 meter swim (it was very hard because it has been a while since I have been in the pool) and 75 minutes of racquetball with Jack
Saturday's Exercise:  Strength Training Pyramid
Yesterday's Calories: 1447
Saturday's Calories:  1604
Vitamins:  1-A-Day, D, B-Complex, Calcium, Glucosamine

It felt good to be home Saturday.  I drank a lot of water and kept my calories under control and lost the first of the two pounds I gained during my short stint to Connecticut.  The second one came off yesterday.  I know it was just water bloating, so it seems as if discipline and home cooking was all I needed to take care of it.

It's New Year's Eve.  Unlike "Christmas Season" this is a time of year I like.  I enjoy reflecting on the year past and thinking about the new year approaching.  It's a time of new beginnings, an opportunity to start again, a reminder that we don't have to do things the way we've always done them, that we can change, grow, and do things differently, if we choose to do so.  I believe that it is very important to remember that everything we do everyday is something we choose to do.  Most of what we do is habit.  Most of what we do we feel like we do because we have no alternatives.  But we do have alternatives, we can make different choices, we can behave differently if we want to.  New Year's Day reminds me to stop and think about what I liked about the previous year and what I'd like to do differently or accomplish in the year to come.

Yesterday Jack and I spent the evening reminiscing about the year past and setting goals for the year to come.  In 2012 two of our children got married, I started a new job, two of our grandchildren came to visit for two weeks, we had an awesome vacation, and, of course, I lost 72 pounds and improved my health and level of fitness considerably.  All in all, 2012 was a pretty good year.

In 2013 my Get Fit Initiative will continue as I train for a triathlon in June or July, get stronger, and work on reducing my body fat %.  I think Jeremy and I will do measurements on Friday, so I'll use that my starting point for 2013.  Jack has been going to the gym with me on weekends, lately, and we plan on continuing that in the year to come.  We have also decided to work a fitness/exercise related event into our calendar at least every other month.  These will be things like going on a day long hike, going to a racquetball camp for a weekend or something like that.  I don't know what these activities will be, but we are going to work on planning our first one for February.

We also talked about a lot of other goals including financial, home improvement, community involvement, etc...  All in all, I think I took 5 pages of notes!  It was a fun conversation.

Below is the strength training pyramid I did today and Saturday:
This is a pyramid comprised of 6 exercises.  The first round you do the first exercise, the second round you do the first and second exercise, the third round you do the first, second, and third exercise, and keep up the pattern until you reach the sixth round and do all six exercises.  The seventh round you do the fifth, fourth, third, second, and first exercise.  The eighth round you do the fourth, third, second and first exercise, all the way to the 11th round when you are just doing the first exercise.  The exercises are as follows:

---1st exercise:  Run 1 lap around gym (Total of 11 laps, one lap each of 11 rounds)
------2nd exercise:  16 Roman squats to shoulder press with 25lb weight (144 total, 16 each for 9 rounds)
---------3rd exercise:  30 seconds of Mountain climbers on sliders (Total of 7 times)
------------4th exercise:  20 bicep curls with 12.5lb dumbell in each hand (100 total, 20 each for 5 rounds)
---------------5th exercise:  12 pushups - on toes! (36 total, 12 each for 3 rounds)
------------------6th exercise:  16 burpees (16 total, only have to do 1 round)
---------------7th round:  Do exercise 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
------------8th round:  Do exercises 4, 3, 2, 1
---------9th round:   Do exercises 3, 2, 1
------10th round:   Do exercises 2, 1
---11th round:   Do exercise 1

The above pyramid pretty much kicks my butt!!

Happy New Year!!!  Have an awesome day!!!

4 comments:

  1. Here is what looks like a good Olympic distance triathlon in Muncie, Indiana in August. What do you think? There are a lot of events that day, we would be doing the Olympic distance one.

    http://www.americamultisport.com/events/muncie-august-triathlon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks good to me. Let's register! Are we registering as a team or are you going to try to place? I'm excited to have an event picked and a date to train for. Except for the heat, later in the summer is better to give me more time outside on my bike. I have my 1st quarter 2013 chart made. I'll post a photo later today.

      Delete
  2. There is a trade off between heat and training. Our weather makes it hard to bike outside until June, and we need to bike outside.
    I think the teams are relay teams, in which you don't do the whole event yourself. I will check it out and we can register tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, regarding the teams. I didn't think of that when the website mentioned teams. I agree, we need to train outside. I think August is perfect.

      Delete