Friday, May 13, 2016

5/13/16: Staying Relatively Un-Fat

Weight:  160.8

My plan is to live a long time, another 46 years, minimum.  I've always wanted to live to be 100 years old.  Ever since middle school when I saw a movie that was centered around the memories of a 100 year old woman I have been fascinated by the thought of being 100 years old and recollecting how the world has changed over my lifetime.  I wish I could remember the name of the movie, but it is eluding me.  What I do remember clearly is how fascinated I was by the main character's stories and how much she had experienced in her lifetime.  I still want to live to be a very old woman.  But I don't want to be a decrepit old woman, I want to be a spry old lady, full of life and vitality.  I don't care if I look old, I just don't want to feel old.  This is why I have worked so hard to lose weight and get fit, and it is why I will work so hard for the rest of my life to maintain my weight and stay fit.

It's not going to be easy, as the article I cited a few days ago suggests.  I weigh a lot less than I did at my heaviest and, based on the evidence in that article, that means I will always have to eat fewer calories than a person of the same size that has never been overweight, or I will start gaining weight again.  I don't doubt the validity of the claim that the article makes.  If I go off program for even a few days, I start gaining weight.  I will need to monitor what I eat, carefully, for the rest of my life.  That is the way it is.  I have accepted that fact and I am willing to live with it.  I would much rather closely monitor what I eat, forever, than let myself get overweight, again.  I really dislike being overweight.  I don't like the way it makes me feel or the way I look when I am overweight.  It depresses me.  Yes, I get frustrated sometimes because it is difficult to be "good enough" to not gain weight, but that's OK.  I can deal with that frustration.  What I refuse to deal with is being fat, again.  It's just not going to happen.

Tomorrow will be the end of Week 1 (for the second time) of my 12 Week Challenge.  I am below my line, so that's great!!  My goals for my 12 Week Challenge are to get to 150 pounds and to significantly improve my strength and muscle tone.  I've had three tough workouts this week, but I haven't been running.  I was "supposed" to run this morning, but I couldn't get myself out of bed in time.  My body felt fatigued.  I think that's OK.  I started my strength training back up this week, after a 3 week break due to my touch-up surgery, and it takes me a little while to get used to the routine.  It's as if my body says, "OK, I'll do this, but you need to give me time to adjust."   I will add running back to my routine next week.  It's all good.  It really is.

It's Friday, thank goodness.  I'm looking forward to the weekend!

PS - I just remembered the name of the movie, it was, "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman."  It was a fictional story, but fascinating, nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment