Monday, May 2, 2016

5/2/2016: Plans Change

Weight:  160.4

It always seems odd to me when my weight is exactly the same for several days in a row.  It hasn't gone up and it hasn't gone down for 4 or 5 days, now.  It's not a big deal, it just seems odd.  There are so many factors that can influence my weight at any given moment that it's surprising that it can remain that constant several days in a row.

On Saturday afternoon we received the news that my aunt, Sister Mary Loretta Beier, died peacefully at the Mother House in Leavenworth.  She was celebrating her 70 years in the convent at the Sisters of Charity Jubilee Event when she passed out.  She was revived and taken to her room where she fell asleep and died a short time later.  Sister Sister, as my father fondly called her, was my dad's last surviving sibling.  He was one of 13 children that survived childhood.  He is now one of one.  My dad, his wife, Kay, and my siblings are coming in from out of town for the services, which will be on Thursday morning in Leavenworth.  After the services, we will host an informal gathering here at the house.  So instead of having a relaxing weekend, Jack and I are fast and furiously getting the house in order for 6 house guests (where are those air mattresses, anyway?) and an open house.  We spent most of yesterday getting the back yard in order.  We had laid in most of the supplies, seeds, and starts that we needed to get the gardens started, but were taking our time getting the work done.  With my light surgery a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like a good idea not to push it.  Well, with a Wednesday deadline looming, push it we did.  We (as in Jack) took down the cage I had around my tomato garden because the wood was rotting out in it's base and I was afraid it would not last another season.  That turned out to be a good call, because the wood base had completely rotted out.  That meant I needed a new border wall for the raised bed garden.  I've known for some time that when I replaced the gardens it would be with blocks, so off we went to Home Depot to purchase 66 24lb blocks.  Yes, we got the garden in.  Yes, my back is sore.  But it's done.  The back yard finally looks like spring is here, instead of half winter/half spring.  We'll spend the next couple of evenings cleaning house and everyone will start arriving on Wednesday.

I have fond memories of Sister Mary Loretta.  She was a progressive nun with a huge heart.  A few years ago Jack and I had the good fortune of being able to take her to Arkansas for my Aunt Marta's funeral (Aunt Marta's funeral was sad, of course.  Of all my dad's siblings, she was probably the one we were closest to).  Sister regaled us with stories of her early days as a nun, teaching in Kansas City, Kansas schools.  Apparently she had a knack for pissing off the principals she worked for.  It was quite fun to hear her stories.  She was a very special person.

It's inevitable, I'm sure, but Sister's death makes me think about my father's mortality.  We celebrated his 80th birthday last summer.  In 9 years, I want to celebrate his 90th.  I'm not ready for my dad to die.  He is healthy, incredibly so for such an old fart.  I am grateful every day that he takes such good care of his health.  He watches his weight closely, has given up sugar, drinks very little alcohol, quit smoking 25 years ago, exercises, gardens (a lot), and volunteers for Hospice.  He is happily married to my stepmom, Kay, for which I am grateful.  I am so glad that they have each other.  Dad, if it's all the same to you, I'd like you stick around for another decade or two!!

OK, enough of this, I gotta go.  I'm only working two days this week.  I need to make the most of it.

Have a good one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment