Thursday, May 26, 2016

5/26/2016: Strength Training - On a Soap Box

Weight: 157.4

I try not to be preachy in my blog posts because the purpose of my blog isn't to cajole other people into doing things they don't want to do, the purpose of my blog is to keep myself accountable and take the time each day to reflect on what's working, what's not working, what I want to change, and how I feel.  That said, I am going to get a tad preachy in this very brief blog post.

Lift weights!

Everyone should be lifting weights!!

Three times a week, for an hour, lift weights!!!

Use free weights.  Exercise all muscle sets.  Be careful.  Get help if you need it.  But whatever you do, start lifting weights!!!!

I cannot stress enough the difference in the quality of life between not lifting weights and lifting weights.  It changes everything.  It is empowering.  It's uplifting (ha ha).  It makes you feel good.  It makes you stronger.  You'll fall less.  You're brain will work better.  It is truly life changing.

You might do your cardio six days a week and wonder when you'll lift weights.  Swap three of those cardio days for strength training days.

If you want copies of my workouts, I am more than happy to share them with you.  Email me at bertabetta@hotmail.com.  If I don't already have your email address, put something in the subject line that has something to do with this blog and wanting the workouts so I don't delete your email without opening it.

You might think you don't know how to lift weights.  All of the exercises have nifty little videos online.  They're great.  Watch the videos.  Be careful.  You can do this.  And you can do it at home.  At first, you'll need light weights.  They're cheap.  Eventually, you'll start buying heavier weights.  They are more expensive, because they are sold by the pound.  You can buy entire sets on craigslist and at garage sales.  I'm serious about this.  Lift weights!!  Please!!  It will change your life!!

Always warm up.  If you haven't ever lifted weights before or haven't in a long time, take it easy.  Take it slow.  Start light with lots of reps.  Maybe just start with stretches.  Do the squats and lunges with no weights (they're called body weight squats).  Do not hurt yourself, but do work yourself.

So many of us, particularly women, skip the strength training.  I meet very, very few women that lift weights.  I don't know why that's true, but it is.  We all need to be lifting weights.  It'll keep your body young and strong.  I believe in the importance of lifting weights like I believe that the sun will come up tomorrow and that someday I will die.  But my intent is to die young, as late as possible!  Weight lifting will help get me there.  It will help you, too.

BE CAREFUL!!        DON"T HURT YOURSELF!!       TAKE IT EASY AT FIRST!!       
HIRE A TRAINER IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!       
LIFT WEIGHTS!!!

OK.  I'm done.  Have a wonderful day!!


1 comment:

  1. roberta, i keep saying i'll cut back on cardio and do some weights. Right now it's on wednesdays only, if at all. I just don't know what to do and it's not as enjoyable as reading a book while jogging on the treadmill. So please, do, sent me your routines or instructions or whatever. I'll try. Sara Shafer McLaurin

    ReplyDelete