Monday, May 23, 2016

5/23/16: Six Days a Week, I Lu-u-u-u-uve You! (Sung to the tune of Eight Days a Week by the Beatles)

Weight:  158.0

As I was going for my run this morning the song, Eight Days a Week, kept running through my mind.  But the lyrics were changed to Six Days a Week, and I was referring to exercise.  You see, I am reading Younger Next Year again and that is what Harry and Chris incessantly talk about in the book, that you need to exercise six days a week for the rest of your life.

In 2011 I started a lifelong exercise habit.  Before 2011 I'd convince myself to start exercising, get in "half-way decent shape," and then something would derail me.  Back then, exercise was all about losing weight and looking good.  It wasn't really about quality of life, and it certainly wasn't about quality of life in my old age.  I found it incredibly difficult to maintain an exercise habit because it was such a slog and I really didn't enjoy it.  But reading Younger Next Year for the very first time changed all that, forever.  I started looking at exercise as a necessity.  Exercising six days a week is the difference between a rather miserable old age of declining physical and mental health and a joyful old age of strength and mental acuity.  It takes commitment and consistency, but it has amazing long term benefits.

Finally, five months after surgery, I am back into the full swing of exercising six days a week, and I am so relieved.  There have been starts & stops and spits & spurts over the last couple of months, but between getting fully recovered from the initial surgery and then recovering from the touch up surgery it's been a long time since I've been in the real swing of things with regard to exercise.  I am glad that I am reading Younger Next Year again.  Otherwise I might have convinced myself that three or four days a week was plenty.  Harry says no.  He says I need to get out there six days a week.  He says to treat it like a job.  Exercise needs to be a priority in my life.  Today, tomorrow, and forever more.  He makes a lot of sense.

I gotta go.  I need to pack meals and get to work.  Have a good one out there!!

2 comments: