Wednesday, May 18, 2016

5/18/16: Three Mile Slog/Jog

Weight:  159.8

It's been rough getting back into the swing of things since my touch-up surgery.  I started weight lifting a week and a half ago.  I finally managed to get out for my first jog this morning.  I fully intended to jog last week, but when I woke up on the mornings after a strength-training day my body said, "Are you crazy?  Stay in bed and rest!"  So I did.  This morning's jog was more slog than jog, but it felt good to get out there.  I jogged slowly for the first two miles and walked the last mile home.  I'm OK with that.  You gotta start somewhere, and that's what this feels like, starting all over again, again.

That's the nature of this beast, start over, start over, and start over again.  It's never going to end.  For me to get to 150 and stay at 150 for life, I will have to be constantly vigilant.  It's not going to just happen.  It's not going to be easy.  But it is going to be worth it.  Being fit and trim feels great!!!!  I don't mind getting old if my body will do what I want it to do, and keeping myself at a healthy weight, exercising regularly, eating good food, drinking plenty of water, and getting enough sleep keeps my body in good shape.  Will I slip and slide down hill every now and then, over the next 50 years?  I am sure I will.  Will I dig my heels in and stop the slide and climb back out of the hole when that happens?  Yes I will.  Every - Single - Time!

I've been a little frustrated with the Last Ten Pounds.  That's what it feels like.  This Last Ten Pounds feels like a thing that needs to be capitalized, underlined, and bolded.  I drop below 160, feel like I am almost there, and then something shakes up my life, I lose focus, and I gain a couple pounds back.  Well, no more!  That is not going to happen again.  On Sunday I decided that I am going to be hyper-vigilant about my diet until I weigh 150 pounds.  What does this mean, exactly?  Considering the fact that my diet was pretty clean already, what more can I do?  Well, I have a new motto.  It's not a catchy motto, but that's OK.  The motto is, "Don't eat it unless it is on my plate."

The thing is, I was eating little bits here and there, without really thinking about it.  A classic example is when I'm fixing my breakfast I will fix my bowl of fruit, but when I am cutting up the pineapple I'll take little bites of pineapple off the core before I throw it away.  Another example, when I take the roasted chicken and veggies out of the oven I'll eat a couple of the charred pieces of sweet potato before I put the rest of it away for meals later in the week.  Or maybe I'd get home from work and mindlessly grab a handful of nuts, and then an apple.  These calories add up.  I think it is unrealistic to be hyper-vigilant for a life-time, but it is not unrealistic to be hyper-vigilant for the amount of time that it will take to lose 9.8 pounds.  So, "Pox on this Last Ten Pounds!" I say.   I am going to get it gone and move on with my life, that's what I am going to do.

That's all I've got for today.  It's time for the slog called work.  Have a good one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment