Friday, May 20, 2016

5/20/16: It's Raining! Dang! I Was All Ready for My Run!

Weight:  158.6

It's cool out.  And it's raining.  And it's dark.  No, I am not going to run in this weather (I realized it was raining when I went into our bedroom to gather up my running clothes - I was ready to go!).  I will run tonight.  I just texted Carla and asked her to check on me this evening to make sure I run when I get home.  I'll go to work early, leave early, and get a run in, tonight.  It's supposed to be 64 degrees and cloudy (no rain) at 4:00 this afternoon.  That sounds better that cold, dark, and rainy.

I did not exercise last night.  I was soooooooo tired yesterday.  The late night at the ballpark was exhausting.  I was trying to figure out why it made me so tired, it's not like it's the first ballgame I've been to.  Then I came home and Jack was wiped out, too.  He is usually up later than me, anyway.  So what's up?  And then I realized that Wednesday night at the ballpark was different than a normal day at the ballpark because we were in a dugout suite with a lot of people.  That meant that the evening took a lot more mental energy.  We weren't just sitting there watching a ballgame.  We were socializing and investing mental energy into the evening.  That is a lot more tiring than just going to a game.  I went to bed early last night and feel tons better today.  It's going to be a good day, in spite of the rain.  The good news is that my garden is watering itself today.  It loves the rain water!!  My lettuce seeds started sprouting yesterday.  Time to start eating the greens that I planted a month ago, so that we have those all eaten when the new ones are ready to go.  Salads for dinner!!

I am reading Younger Next Year again.  It's hard to put a finger on why, exactly, I like this book so much, but I do.  It transformed my life, as many of you already know.  It is the book that I read 5 years ago that convinced that daily exercise is a must, for the rest of my life.  It is the book that I have given away to anyone that I think might actually read it.  It is the book that I am now reading for the fourth (or is it fifth?) time.  There are parts of the book that I don't love.  Sometimes one of the authors, Chris, can be a little too campy and I just want to skim over what he has to say.  But there are other times that he uses exactly the right combination of words to remind me that exercise is the most important thing I can do, everyday, forever.  In fact, as I was reading the book at breakfast this morning there were two quotes from the book that I found particularly spot on, so I texted them to Carla.  They are, "There is nothing you can do that is more important than daily exercise." And, "You may not like exercise, but do it anyway.  For your heart, for your mind, for your immortal soul.  And for the rest of us.  We want your company."  I apologize in advance for what I am sure will be too many quotes and thoughts from the book over the next few days, as I read it again.  I'm sure I won't be able to help myself.

Well, if I am going to keep my promise to myself to get to work early, so I can leave early, so I can get my run in this afternoon, I better sign off.  Have a super day!


No comments:

Post a Comment