Monday, May 16, 2016

5/16/2016: It's a Brand New Week

Weight:  160.0

It's Monday and we're starting all over again.  This weekend we got some chores done, I got a haircut and a pedicure (much needed, I was starting to look a little scruffy), we went to the movies (The Avengers, Civil War), and I got my cooking done for the week.  I also finished planting my vegetable garden, finally!  The starts are all looking pretty good.  I planted the seeds on Saturday.  I know it's late, but better late than never.  The back yard looks so nice with the garden planted, the herbs growing, the lawn furniture set up, and the grass nicely mowed.  It is very inviting.

I saw this link to an article about sugar this morning on Facebook:

http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2016/04/the-real-truth-about-sugar/#gs.qKktjeg

Basically, the article discusses the difference between carbohydrates and sugar and recommends that added sugars be less than 5% of a person's daily caloric intake.  The problem is, a lot of people don't realize that they are eating added sugars when they consume a lot of manufactured foods.  Food labels are becoming more and more deceptive.  There are so many names for added sugars now, it is almost impossible to tell how much sugar really is in something, unless you cook it yourself.

I believe that it is important to cook as much of my own food as possible and one of the primary reasons I believe that is so that I can avoid hidden added sugars.  If I am going to eat sugar, I want to know that I am eating it, I want it to be an obvious treat that I truly enjoy.  I don't want sugar sneaked into my food, with me unaware of its presence.

We have a ballgame to go to tonight.  It's raining and it's cool.  Should be fun.

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment