Monday, June 13, 2016

6/13/2016: Another Day

Weight:  154.0

It's Monday morning, again.  It happens every seven days, whether I want it to or not.  Funny how that works.

I ate dinner later than normal yesterday because of kickball (I didn't play because of my broken finger, but I was one helluva manager!) and even though everything else was 100% on program, eating later in the day had a slight impact on my weight.  It's so predictable.

The tragedy in Orlando yesterday really shook me up.  It put all of my minor challenges and inconveniences into perspective.  I am crushed by how hate fueled the rhetoric in the world has become.  Or is.  Why do human beings hate each other so much?  Why do human beings have so much intolerance for people that are different from themselves?  Why do people perceive minor differences such as skin color, religious affiliation, gender and gender identification, sexual orientation, or nationality as reasons to hate one another?  I don't get it.

The loud public discussion about rape is occupying my thoughts, as well.  I am glad the discussion is happening, yet I feel like a big piece of the puzzle is missing from the discussion.  I do think that most, if not all, women are constantly aware of the threat of rape.  When I am running in the early mornings I pay attention to every person I see and every vehicle on the street.  I assess the risk potential and decide what to do every time I see someone.  Should I keep running in this direction?  Should I cut up a side street?  If something seems abnormal, I will confidently jog up to the front door of a house and pretend I live there, to shake off a would be attacker.  Two days ago I was jogging down the street (at 5:00AM) and a car slowed down as it passed me.  This was enough to scare me.  I immediately turned up a side street and then up another one so the driver wouldn't find me if he did decide to turn around.  I'm not ready to discuss some of my more radical thoughts on this subject, but I am glad the discussion is becoming more public.  Rape in this country is a serious problem and we must do something about it.  Now.

Sigh.  Sorry about this divergence, but these subjects are weighing heavily on me.  I'll try to get back to the task at hand in tomorrow's post.



No comments:

Post a Comment