Wednesday, June 15, 2016

6/15/2016: If It Was Easy...

Weight:  154.2

...everyone would do it!

I ran three miles today without walking.  That was one of my goals for my 12 week challenge.  I was a little frustrated with the scale not moving today so as I set out for my run I said, "Just do the whole loop."  So I did.  A few times during that run I thought about walking, but it wasn't that bad.  I thought to myself, "This isn't easy." But then I reminded myself that it's not that hard.  A lot of people are doing much more difficult things than jogging three miles in the morning and staying on a food program.

I'm conflicted.  It means so much to me when I hear that my story has motivated somebody else to start a program of their own.  The purpose of this blog is to keep myself on program, but when I inspire others I am thrilled.  My conflict is this.  Is this hard or isn't it?  On the one hand, it seemed impossible when I weighed 250 pounds, or more recently 224 pounds, to get to a healthy weight.  The long, slow slog of getting here seemed like too much to take on.  I get it when others tell me how hard it is.  I went through what they are going through.  Several times.  If it was easy, it wouldn't have taken me 30 years of my adult life to figure out how to get it done.  So, yes, I acknowledge that this is hard.  But, in reality, it's not that hard.  The hardest part, really, is making up my mind to do it.  Once that part is done, once I have decided that I really am doing this, then it is just a matter of planning and executing.  I need to allocate part of my week to cooking healthy food.  Well, I cook anyway, it doesn't take any longer to cook healthy food than anything else.  I need to allocate a part of each day to exercise.  Well, I don't work, sleep, or eat for 24 hours a day.  I have at least a little time everyday that is free.  I can use that for exercise.  It really is about choosing to do it.  When it gets right down to brass tacks, this isn't that hard.  It's just something that needs to be done consistently.  I have to decide I'm going to do it, everyday.

So, do I say, this is really hard, but do it anyway.  Or do I say, it's not that hard.  I don't know.  It is and it isn't.  I don't know.

The Royals are winning again and it's hot in Kansas City, so I'm dressed for comfort, today!

Have a good one out there!!


8 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about that voice telling you to eat. It must be scary and depressing to think that you will have to fight with that voice forever. I think I know what is going on. You know the research – human body/mind systems hate to lose weight. They strive to be whatever weight they were before they lost weight. The more weight lost, the harder the body and mind work to get that weight back. That is what the voice is. You have probably lost more than 500 pounds in your adult life. Your system is going to fight with you about that. I don’t know how long it will last, but I would bet that the longer maintain your weight, the weaker the voice will become. I think you need to get to a particular weight and then stay there, and not lose or gain any weight for a long time, maybe years. I am sure you can do that at 150. The problem is that the voice is strong. It will wear you down. It will speak when you are weak and tired. You will need support. Even though you are thin now, you might find help in an OA group or some other group where people’s voices are preying on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I am sure you are right about why the voice is there and it is depressing and a little scary knowing it will always be there. I also agree completely that I need to pick a weight and stay there for a long time, which is why I have decided on 150. Not a weight range, but a weight. This voice has a lot to do with why I want to figure out how to help others avoid this mess in the first place. I wish I could shout from the roof tops, "Don't go there! The damage is permanent!" I so desperately want to help others avoid this pain. With regard to OA, I spent several months attending OA meetings in my early 30s. That is when I accepted the concept of food, particularly sugar, addiction. I also learned that OA is not for me. It's hard for me to explain, but the group felt very self serving. They preached that it was impossible to win the battle with food without the group. We can talk more about it later, but I am not a fit for OA. The blog really helps quiet the voice more than anything does, which is why I keep blogging. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate comments on the blog. It helps to know that a few people read it because it forces me to be thoughtful and consistent about writing.

      Delete
  2. About running and walking -- At our age, there is nothing wrong with walking during a jog. Walking will prevent injury. A 40 minute jog with four, one minute walk breaks is better than a 36 minute jog because you will feel better when it is over and feel better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this makes sense. I will remember this when I feel like I need to walk.

      Delete
  3. Never stop blogging! It's my accountability and I think that it will work for you too. Even if I have nothing really exciting to say, (Okay, that parts a joke. I always have something to say.) I blog. I blog what I ate and what exercise I did. Even if nobody is reading, posting that blog post and knowing that someone might read it, keeps me accountable. I know you have a hard time blogging after you reach your goals, but I really think if you continue to blog, it will help you maintain your healthy eating habits and your exercise. Maybe you blog about your mindset and what it is that keeps you maintaining? Maybe you blog about how great you feel because you have continued the healthy lifestyle. Maybe you blog about one bad day where you weren't pleased with your food choices. One bad can turn into two or three bad days really fast. Maybe blogging about one bad day could prevent bad day two and three?

    Just a thought, but I say for YOU, keep on blogging!

    Hugs, and you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Yes, blogging helps me stay on track!! Thanks for the encouragement!! We girls gotta stick together!!

      Delete